Grounds Person - The Newt in Somerset - Horticulture & Estate
The Newt in Somerset has ancient woodland, historic gardens and far reaching views. It is a unique destination with Hotel, Spa, Restaurants and much more. Visitors can take a tour of the gardens, deer park and cyder press, dine in the Garden Café and visit our farm shop. Attracting around 150,000 visitors per year, The Newt in Somerset is a vibrant and thriving attraction, animated throughout the seasons by special events, workshops and education programmes.
The Grounds team is a new department within the gardens team, and it is expanding as we take on new projects. The team is responsible for turf care including a badminton court, croquet lawn and the fine lawns around the hotel and ornamental gardens. The team are also responsible for ensuring the outlying areas of grass, paths and roads are kept neat and tidy and making sure the estate roads and paths are kept safe in the winter.
We are looking to recruit an experienced grounds person to join our team and provide a high-quality service across the estate. You will be a keen and enthusiastic gardener who has a proven track record in a similar role. Formal training and a wide knowledge of using machinery and experience of turf management.
We are looking for a team player who can truly make a difference to the upkeep and maintenance of our amazing gardens. Excellent presentation and communication skills are a must as our garden team regularly interact with our visitors throughout the day.
- Maintain and develop the grounds across the estate, assisting with all aspects of support and maintenance for public display.
- Assist the garden team in any projects or events planned for the visitor attraction and the hotels grounds.
- To be involved in visitor engagement that enhances their experience through representing the history, value, and vision of the Newt.
- Participate in education programs and conducts tours and workshops when required including but not limited to evenings and weekends.
- Machinery maintenance
- This role will also entail Winter Site Safety, leaf clearance, gritting of paths and roads across the hotels and garden attraction.
Skills and Experience
- Experience in turf management including, aeration, scarification, fertilising. Pest/weed/disease control and identification.
- Experience driving tractors and other machinery.
- Broad-ranging horticultural expertise with evidence of appropriate academic qualifications or experience to support this.
- A thorough, precise, and well organised individual.
- An eagerness to provide the highest level of visitor experience.
- The candidate will be a hands-on, hard-working, energetic person with excellent team working skills and the ability to communicate across all levels and adapting their style to meet individual needs.
- Full and clean UK driving license.
- PA1 & PA6 certificates desirable.
- Trailer licence desirable
- Basic machinery maintenance knowledge
Excellent Benefits package available from day one including:
- Exceptional working environment, fresh estate grown meal provided each day
- Annual Performance Bonus
- 30% discount in the shops across the estate
- 30% discount at restaurants across the estate
- 30% discount on Newt cyder and Babylonstoren wine
- 50% discount in the Spa
- Anniversary stay in the hotel each year, Dinner bed and breakfast.
- Discounted hotel stays for staff
- Family pass to access the estate
- Entry passes for friends and family to access the estate
- Family Events 3 times per year
- Access to internal/external training qualifications and programmes
- Cross Training and career development opportunities