Residential First Aid Officer - Yorkshire
Activate are looking to hire an experienced staff member to provide first aid and welfare support to a large group of young people staying at a Pop-Up Outdoor Activity Centre as part of the National Citizen Service (NCS) programme.
NCS is a unique opportunity for 15 - 17 year olds to build skills for work and life. During the programme, approximately 150 participants will spend a week at the residential site taking part in a range of outdoor adventure activities, water sports, team building and games. The provider of the outdoor adventure activities will have their own designated first aiders that you will be required to support if necessary.
This is a short-term contract to work two separate weeks during summer: 11th July - 16th July AND 2nd August - 6th August. The successful applicant will be required to stay residentially at the site in Ampleforth, North Yorkshire during these dates.
You will be earning £85 per day with overtime paid per hour if required.
We are happy to welcome candidates from across the country as this is a residential role. You will need to be able to get yourself to and from the site on the start/end dates above.
- Act as the Designated First Aider across the residential site with support from the Welfare Officer
- Provide an effective First Aid Service to all people at the residential site
- Take charge of all first aid equipment and make sure all first aid kits are secure and fully stocked
- Liaise with all on-site staff including Venue Manager, Catering Staff and Team Leaders to ensure that key medical information is fully understood and procedures are in place for individuals that may require extra support
- Ensure medication is stored and locked away safely if specified on medical information and plans are in place for young people to access this as required
- Assess any casualties to discover the nature and cause of any illnesses and injuries (only if qualified and trained to do so)
- Manage any incidents and ensure the safety of the casualty and any bystanders
- Provide any appropriate first aid treatment (only if qualified and trained to do so)
- Arrange for further medical help and coordinate with the emergency services if necessary
- Assist in the evacuation of buildings in the event of a fire-alarm or other emergencies
- Making sensible, pro-active decisions to protect the welfare of all participants such as room changes, and ensuring all paperwork is altered accordingly
- Ensure all cases / incidents are accurately recorded and reported in a timely manner using Activate’s Incident Reporting System
- Support other staff members to submit reports if required
- Supervise the participants at certain times of the day and during certain timetabled activities
- Provide a general stewarding role when not actively dealing with any first aid related incidents
- Support and work with the Welfare Officer to ensure a safe environment
- Engage with the young people, activities and the NCS programme on site
- Complete any other programme related tasks
- Level 3 First Aid at Work
- Emergency First Aid at Work
- Paediatric First Aid
- Anaphylaxis & Epipen training
- Knowledge and understanding of Health & Safety and First Aid regulations and procedures
- Ability to understand and follow risk assessments and safeguarding procedures
- Demonstrable experience working in a first aid capacity at an outward bound venue, during outdoor adventure activities or in a school setting
- Experience working at a residential site
- Experience in and understanding of first aid requirements in an outdoor setting
*Valid Driving Licence and the use of your own Vehicle*
Why work for us…
- Receive full support and training before the NCS programme starts
- Work with like-minded people to support young people and make a difference
- Boarding and food costs are included and will not be deducted from your agreed pay rate
- Expenses towards travel costs
- Gain fantastic, nationally recognised experience working with young people
*Every candidate will be submitted for an Enhanced DBS Check once offered a role*