Duty Manager, Grocery and Chilled - Spitalfields
- Reports to: Store Manager
- Direct reports: Stock Controller, Chilled and Team Member, Produce.
To lead and develop the Chilled and Grocery teams to ensure that the correct level of stock is being ordered, properly received, stock is rotated, out of date stock is dealt with, back stock areas are clean and organised, the Grocery, Chilled and Tills departments are clean, organised and well merchandised. To ensure that departmental and store targets are achieved in terms of sales, waste, employment and mystery shops.
- Hiring good quality people for the teams.
- Able to work to a high standard in Grocery and Chilled.
- Encouraging good relations amongst the team and other areas in the store.
- Ensure you and your team are supporting other areas of the store during busy periods.
- Ensuring that you and the team team have a good knowledge of the products in their own departments, of promotions and new lines.
- Ensuring the team completes health and safety, statutory and product knowledge training such as Silver and Gold training to the deadlines required.
- Set and maintain high standards of product knowledge throughout the team by allocating time for training and following up on an individual’s learning
- Make sure the whole team is able to describe the benefits of organic and natural products
- Ensure the team can recommend different items according to different dietary requirements.
- Ensure the team delivers great service to customers and consistently achieves 85% or above in the store’s mystery shop.
- Ensure that you and your team are working at pace to deliver results
- Delivering great service to internal customers by dealing with matters promptly, efficiently and helpfully
- Ensure you and your team deal with customer complaints effectively.
- Ensure that when your team are supporting on Tills that they are correctly following cash handling procedures.
- Update your team regularly on important information.
- Maintain good contact with HR regarding any changes in the department.
- Ensure that the daily bulletin is read and followed every day.
- Ensure the team has completed their task training and risk assessments are done so the team can confidently use equipment.
- Ensure that ordering is done accurately and to deadline.
- Ensure merchandising is of a high standard i.e. stock is faced up, correctly labelled, replenished and rotated as necessary.
- Ensure that back stock, chillers and freezers are clean and well organised.
- Support the store in ensuring that tables are cleared and cleaned and rubbish bins are emptied.
- Prioritise workload and that of the team to accomplish goals.
- Work at pace to deliver on time.
- Make decisions using a range of information in a well thought out and considered way on a day-to-day basis; supports team members in their decision making.
- Monitor, coach and develop the team spotting and developing talent.
- Effectively communicate goals and actions to the FTG team and other store colleagues regularly
- Train new starters, conduct probationary and annual reviews.
- Manage employee relations issues effectively e.g. deal with absence and lateness issues as they arise.
- Ensure that you are attending training to develop your knowledge and skills.
- Run the store in the absence of the Store Manager.
- Achieve sales, waste and profit targets.
- Use promotions, events and external relationships to develop business.
- Mystery shopper reports are at an average of 85% for their store.
- Ensure that holidays are managed to maximise staffing in your department and in the rest of the store.
- Ensure rotas are planned 4 weeks in advance and on TMS.
- Maintain vigilance of stock by observing and approaching shop lifters.
- Ensure cash handling procedures are being followed.
- Ensure that goods are being received properly by checking in items against invoices then passing the goods received notes to the Store Administrator.
- Assist with periodic stock takes within the store which may require working additional hours.
- Keep controllable store costs on budget e.g. employment by hiring only when required.
- Understand and apply commercial knowledge to own department and store.
- Consistently follow store procedures / checklists.
- Implement effective visual merchandising.
- Keep up to date with market trends and analyses the competition.
- Ensure staff turnover does not go above 70% for the year.
- Demonstrate decision-making ability and leadership skills.
- Previous experience within a food service environment.
- Able to use systems and basic Excel.
- Ability to undertake shift work across all days of the week and weekends
- Standing and walking for extended periods of time.
- Able to lift and carry.
- Operating machinery e.g. juicers, coffee machines and ovens if required to help.