Digital Engineer - The Newt in Somerset - Horticulture & Estate
Be part of the future here at the Newt, your vision and drive is needed to deliver the AR and VR experience in our museums and exhibits. Software development is vital to turbocharging our exhibitions, so if you're a C++ expert with an in-depth of knowledge of computer architecture, a love for solving novel problems from first principles, and an aptitude for optimization, you'll thrive in our collaborative environment.
There are opportunities to work on simulations, algorithms, networking, optimisation, optics, graphics, audio, displays, haptics, tracking, mapping, machine perception, demos, gameplay, user experiences and more. Be part of the future technology that makes AR/VR come to life here at The Newt. Join us, as we make science fiction real and change the way our exhibits come to life.
- Analyse, evaluate, design, develop, integrate, debug and test real-time AR and VR software for advanced exhibits and user experiences.
- Collaborate in a team environment across multiple scientific and engineering disciplines, making the architectural trade-offs required to rapidly deliver AR and VR technologies.
- Learn constantly, educate others, dive into new areas with unfamiliar technologies, and embrace the ambiguity of AR/VR problem solving.
- BSc degree (Min 2:1) in Computer Science or related field
- Knowledge of the fundamentals of computer architecture, including CPU data caching, SIMD instruction sets, and compiler code generation
- Problem solving and optimization experience
- Experience with communication and working across
disciplines to drive solutions
- Knowledge of 3D graphics
- Knowledge of game engines such as Unreal
- Experience with sensor fusion
- MATLAB experience
- Robotics experience
Excellent Benefits package including:
- Superb staff meals with home grown produce when on duty
- Performance Bonus
- 30 days annual leave (including bank holidays)
- 30% discount in the shops across the estate
- 30% discount at restaurants across the estate
- 30% discount on Babylonstoren wine and cyder
- 50% discount in the Spa
- Discounted hotel stays for staff
- Family pass to access the estate
- Entry passes for friends and family to access the estate when accompanied by staff member
- Tailored training plans to assist in career development