Market Gardener - The Newt in Somerset - Horticulture & Estate
This is a full time roles for professional gardeners
The Gardens Team (Nursery, Gardens & Woodlands) are dedicated to understanding, developing, curating, protecting and managing The Newts living collection of plants, in an environment where visitors are encouraged to experience and learn about plants, garden history, habitats and to enjoy the gardens.
The Edible Garden team includes Kitchen and Market gardens which provide produce for estate kitchens and customer sales.
Under direct supervision, the Market Gardener provides quality, edible produce to meet the needs of the estate food vision, whilst maintaining a visually appealing public garden and visitor attraction.
We are grow vegetables in our market garden across 9 acres using mechanisation where possible. Assisting the Head of Edibles with daily care, cultivation and maintenance of areas within the Market Gardens, helping to further develop and improve crop yields and assist with various projects. You should have a good general knowledge of growing fruit and vegetables along with the ability to lead or work as part of a team.
Implement the Market Gardens development brief and planting schedule, maintaining the gardens to a high horticultural standard for public display and cultivation of edible produce, utilising organic principles and practises.
- Provide quality produce in alignment with the harvesting schedule and adhering to supply specifications to meet the Food & Beverage department’s Estate Food Vision. Keep accurate records of produce supplied.
- Use the highest standard of horticultural / agricultural techniques to establish and maintain diverse market gardens, including routine and special projects as requested.
- Ensure public engagement that enhances the visitor experience through representing the value and vision of the Newt and collaborate with Candide to share the Newt narrative.
- Participate in education programs and conducts tours and workshops, when required, including but not limited to evenings and weekends.
- Actively participates in professional societies and other organisations to disseminate and share ideas and keep current on industry developments with the aim to constantly monitor and improve cultivational practises and strive for Horticultural excellence.
Skills and Experience
Minimum of two years of horticultural experience in a Market Garden setting or similar
- Certificate/Diploma and/or bachelor’s degree in horticulture, agriculture or related field with 2 to 3 years’ experience
- Organic cultivational knowledge desirable,
- Tractor driving and mounted equipment and precision drilling experience - advantageous.
- Advanced understanding of correct horticultural practices and experience in all aspects of routine productive horticulture and garden maintenance, including but not limited to planting, weed identification and control, cultural requirements of edibles as well as general plant identification knowledge.
Excellent Benefits package available from day one including:
- Exceptional working environment, fresh estate grown meal provided each
- Annual Performance Bonus
- 30% discount in the shops across the estate
- 30% discount at restaurants across the estate
- 30% discount on Newt cyder and Babylonstoren wine
- 50% discount in the Spa
- Anniversary stay in the hotel each year, Dinner bed and breakfast.
- Discounted hotel stays for staff
- Family pass to access the estate
- Entry passes for friends and family to access the estate
- Family Events 3 times per year
- Access to internal/external training
qualifications and programmes
- Cross Training and career development