Assistant General Manager - Zakynthos, Greece
Maternity cover with the opportunity for a permanent contract
- April 2021 – September/October 2021 in Greece
- October 2021 – March/April 2022 in UK/Ireland
Please note that applicants must be eligible to work in both Greece and the UK.
The Peligoni Club is a family-run beach club in Greece. It’s a members-only retreat for a fun-loving bohemian crowd who want delicious food, creative cocktails, friendly staff and sumptuous settings, but without all the fuss that usually comes with high-end hotels.
Small and personal with a focus on quality over quantity, the club moulds itself around our guests and their idea of the perfect holiday. For some that might be an action packed week of watersports, yoga and tennis and for others that might be a series of long lazy lunches, time in the sun and being able to really let their hair down whilst our childcare team look after the little ones; whatever they feel like, we’ve got it covered.
With so many moving parts, this is a huge operation and we are looking for someone to support our General Manager this summer with the day to day running of the club as well work with them during the winter months, preparing for summer 2022, in particularly taking the lead on seasonal staff recruitment. This is initially a maternity cover position, however for the right person could lead on to a permanent contract.
This is a hands-on role which will involve a large amount of problem solving and getting stuck in wherever is needed; you will be guest facing and the first point of call for any issues, complaints and emergencies and you will also take on responsibility for HR and recruitment. An understanding of basic accounting is also necessary as you will provide support to our Accounts Receivable Manager during the season.
We are looking for an experienced, self-motivated and confident all-rounder with an impeccable attention to detail who can ensure a consistently high level of service throughout the club. They must have a commitment to the club’s ethos and the ability to manage and motivate a large team with varied experience and responsibilities in what can often be a high-pressure environment.
This is a challenging role with a wide range of responsibilities and the chance to be a part of making key operational decisions. It can be extremely rewarding for someone who thrives on this and comes with scope for more long-term opportunities.
- Act on behalf of the General Manager in their absence
- Have an extensive understanding of all aspects of the operation
- Oversee the day to day running of the club during the summer months – ensuring a consistently high level of service is delivered throughout, the club is always looking its best and all scheduled activities are well planned.
- Build strong relationships and rapport with guests
- Promote best practices and ensure the safety of guests and staff alike
- Provide ongoing support and guidance to department managers throughout the season
- Continuously train, develop, manage and motivate staff throughout the season to consistently perform at their highest level
- Encourage and maintain good communication across all departments
- Handle employment relations issues including disciplinaries, grievances and staff welfare
- Manage staff rotas and ensure that working hours are being managed effectively to avoid overspending
- Prepare payroll information, providing relevant data such as commission, overtime, holiday and absences to our accountants
- Lead the recruitment process – including the selection and interviewing of candidates, issuing of contracts, collecting personal information and ensuring any legal paperwork is completed.
- Respond to any guest or staff emergencies in an effective and efficient manner
- Review financial reports and identify areas of improvement
- Carry out regular spotchecks on guest and staff accounts
- Maintain good relationships with local suppliers and contacts
ABILITIES & EXPECTATIONS
- Strong leadership and motivational skills
- Ability to manage, motivate and develop a team
- Impeccable attention to detail
- Excellent guest relations and interpersonal skills
- Highly organised, pro-active and flexible
- Be able to communicate effectively
- Be able to work efficiently and calmly under pressure
- Problem-solving ability to resolve issues as they arise
- Proven general management experience
- A minimum of 5 years management experience in the hospitality and/or tourism industry
- Knowledge of business process and functions (finance, HR, operations etc).
- Good understanding of accounts and EPOS systems
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Good Food & Beverage knowledge
- Good knowledge of watersports is desirable
- Full driving license
- Up to date first aid certificate is desirable
- EU Passport Holder