Health and Safety Officer
Health & Safety Officer
Reporting to: Health & Safety Manager
Finding your fit at The Gym is what we are all about and we're guessing it's what brought you here!
We're always encouraging people to take the first step and challenge themselves and you would be crazy to miss this opportunity to join our amazing Tech Team as Health & Safety Officer.
What you need to know about us...
We're not like any other Gym company we are THE GYM, a place where everyone can find their fit and be their best. We hire real people with real passion, whose positivity and enthusiasm motivate and innovate. Our teams are friendly and engaging and they thrive in an environment where they have the flexibility to be awesome and to continuously develop and improve themselves!
We actively invest in our people... don't believe us? Check out our big shiny "Investors In People" gold award... now you don't see that every day! We are really proud of our teams and we promise to push them to challenge their limits and celebrate with them when they achieve new goals. They work hard, they deliver results and they reap the rewards.
By membership we are the 2nd largest gym business in the UK and the 4th largest in Europe. We are the only publicly listed UK health and fitness operator.
What you need to know about the role...
This is a great opportunity to join a growing successful business at a time when Health & Safety is a hugely prominent focus.
- As the Health and Safety Officer you will support the Health and Safety Manager in the delivery and development of the health and safety management system The Gym Ltd sites.
- You will drive exceptional health and safety standards across The Gym estate, ensuring that where actions have been identified through the audit or risk management program or enforcement visits; a plan is in place to achieve compliance.
- You will provide advice and guidance to Gym Teams on internal policy and process and help to ensure compliance across the group.
- Sit on The Gyms health and safety focus group. As an active member you will provide expert opinion as well as help understand wider workforce H&S concerns and formulate these into actions for the health and safety development plan.
- Attend Regional Meetings to deliver training and consultation on health and safety matters and to support delivery of operational change into the business.
- Where notified, attend site at any time enforcing authorities have requested access to support gym Management and make the Health and Safety Manager aware of any formal notices or actions.
- Follow up with key stakeholders after high-profile accidents or incidents to ensure that any actions identified during the investigation are closed off following completion.
- To provide support and guidance on internal health and safety processes and procedures to gym and support teams.
- Support our gym teams at new sites in implementing The Gym's health and safety management system in preparation for when the gym is open to view, ensuring that any gym specific hazards are identified and included within the gyms General Risk Assessments
- To conduct shadow audits on our third party, health and safety consultants to enable us to continually improve their service delivery (20% of sites per year).
- To carry out follow up visits to any gym following a low scoring audit (or as requested), to provide expert support and guidance on how to best achieve compliance and improved health and safety culture.
So let us tell you what we are looking for...
To enrich our great team, we are looking for a Health & Safety Officer , someone who is passionate and curious about all things H&S.
- Hold a level 3 health and safety qualification (NEBOSH Certificate or equivalent).
- Be a member of IOSH at Technical level with a structured CPD in place.
- Have at least 3 years of experience within a multi-site health and safety role is essential. Preferably within leisure, although not essential.
- Be proficient in the use of common business software programs, including Microsoft Office.
- Have excellent people skills and the ability to communicate effectively in written format and oral presentation.
- Be autonomous and have the ability to manage your own diary and work in a fluid nature around the needs of the business.
- Solid experience collaborating with other business areas to meet company objectives and standards.
- It would be desirable if:
- You hold a level 6 health and safety qualification (NEBOSH Diploma, NCRQ Diploma in Applied Health and Safety) although not essential.
- You are a member of IOSH at Graduate or Chartered level with a structured CPD in place although not essential.
- You have experience of working with an outsourced health and safety consultancy.
- You have practical experience working with or implementing ISO 45001.
So... We know you are ready to hit that APPLY button so what are you waiting for... Start your best career journey yet with The Gym Group and come #BEYOUWITHUS