- Job Type
- Full Time
IMEDIATE START / Full – Time / Award winning team / Restaurant and Hotel Discounts / Required: Good industry knowledge / Two years’ experience in a similar working environment / NVQ Level 2 horticultural qualification / Good Communication skills
Barnsley House is the former home of Garden Designer Rosemary Verey. This garden is highly thought of because of its amazing flower borders and unique potager garden. Now running as a hotel the garden is a key area at the heart of our business. We are looking for a friendly and energetic Individual to complete our four person team. The ideal applicant should be confident, enthusiastic and experienced in all aspects of gardening and happy to share this with colleagues and guests.
We are at present looking for a Senior Gardener to join the gardening team at Barnsley House.
Working Hours: Full-time - 40 hours per week
As Senior Gardener, your main responsibilities in this role will be:
- To maintain and continuously work to improve the overall horticultural standards within the Barnsley Gardens and set a good example to the team
- Assist in the maintenance of ornamental features within the site and care for the gardens and grounds
- Oversee the proper care of plants, including propagation, cultivation, weeding, dead heading and hand pruning
- To ensure a full understanding of health and safety policy and practises within the grounds and gardens and fully compliant with HSAW regulations
- Ability to use horticultural machinery including tractor and hedge cutters
- Take responsibility for the team in the absence of Head Gardener
- Assist with floristry within the hotel
- Facilitate and lead garden tours
The ideal candidate will need to be hard working, flexible and a team player with the ability to work to a very high standard without the need for supervision. We offer a great working environment, working in stunning garden & grounds, as well as a great opportunity to work with a dynamic team of professionals.
Experience and skills required for the role:
- A minimum of 2 years’ experience in a similar working environment is required.
- NVQ Level 2 Horticultural qualification or equivalent
- Knapsack spraying PA1 & 6
- Good communication skills - Happy to meet and talk to hotel guests and visitors about the plants and garden
- Working knowledge of Risk assessments and COSHH assessments
- Motivated to work to a very high standard without supervision
- Good knowledge of plant identification and care
- Good knowledge of vegetable production
- Capable of physically demanding/heavy work
- Self-motivated, wants to work and keen to continue learning
- You will also be required to hold a Full, clean UK drivers licence.
The perks when working for The Calcot Collection:
- Personal development programmes through the Calcot Academy
- 28 days holiday per annum (inclusive of Bank Holidays)
- Paid overtime and tips
- Uniform provided
- Meals while on duty
- Free car park
- Long service awards
- Discounts on stays within The Calcot Collection £50 B&B (T&C’s apply)
- 50% discount on food purchases within our restaurants (Wine & Bar will be charged)
- Spa Discount – 15% off Spa products, 20% off Spa treatments
- Staff Christmas pressie vouchers for use in any of our properties
- Employee assistance programme
At The Calcot Collection we provide great opportunities for extra training and there is a clear progression route for those who shine. The company runs an integrated scheme designed to reach all levels under the banner of the Calcot Academy. We are committed to people development at all stages and the long service of our key staff bears witness to this.
We would advise that having your own car is essential as we are located away from Cirencester (Postcode: GL7 5EE).
Apply for Senior Gardener
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly