Junior Business Intelligence Engineer
- Job Type
- Full Time
Since our launch back in 1982 we have taken the sports retail world by storm. With over 500 stores both at home here in the UK and in over 19 European countries as well as a full multi-channel retail website - we are still growing. At SPORTSDIRECT.com we pride ourselves on progression and development of our staff and many of our staff at Head Office have joined us from other areas of the business and have been here for a number of years. In the current retail world that’s quite unique and we invite you to be a part of it.
We are seeking a Junior BI Engineer to join us in our growing Data Infrastructure & Engineering team; to help develop, maintain, support, and administrate our growing number of BI environments, as well as providing support for our Data Platform and operational Databases.
The right candidate will have a good core understanding of multiple data technologies, and a wealth of knowledge in the BI and Database programming world, will be flexible, keen and a fast learner.
In this role you will:
- Help design and implement reporting and analytical solutions, including both the design of table structures and the processes used to populate those structures with data from internal and external sources; to drive improvement in key business metrics, user experience, and business results.
- Assist in providing data that is accurate, congruent and reliable as well as being easily accessible
- Help implement, manage, maintain, and performance tune Data Mart(s), and Business Intelligence Reporting environments; alongside support of the integrations of those systems with other applications.
- Work closely with users and BI Analysts to turn data into critical information and knowledge that can be used to make sound business decisions
- Educate and train users to use the data as an analytical tool, displaying the information in new form and content for analysis and exploring options
In this role you will be responsible for:
- Designing, building, and testing reporting and analysis tools that help streamline the business and make reporting, analysing, planning, and forecasting more efficient
- Collecting, analysing and sharing data to help business teams drive improvement in key business metrics, user experience, and business results
- Designing, developing, testing, and performance tuning BI solutions such as databases, data marts, models, queries, views, reports, and dashboards
- Troubleshooting reported data loads or reconciliation inconsistencies in conjunction with the sites for data models and / or reports
- Implementing and administrating security controls, privileges, and permissions around data and BI solutions
- Working with Analysts to understand user needs, and provide updates regarding issues and releases
- Assisting in providing production support / database access 24x7, up to Level 3 for the development, production and testing environments
Required education and experience:
- A thorough working knowledge of SQL (Oracle or MSSQL)
- A minimum of 1-years’ experience using Microsoft SQL-Server BI stack (i.e., SSAS, SSRS, SSIS)
- A minimum of 1-years’ experience of developing reports using industry standard reporting tools (Power BI)
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, specifically Excel
- Experience of building analysis services models, whether tabular or multi-dimensional, using Visual Studio
- Proficiency in one or more database programming languages (i.e., T-SQL, PL/SQL etc.,)
- Experience with UX design, and data visualisation
- Proficiency in one or more scripting languages (i.e., PowerShell, Python etc.,)
Desirable skills & Technologies:
- Had exposure to, or experience in DAX
- Proficiency in any other reporting or dashboarding tool (i.e., Looker, Qlik, Tableau, Periscope etc.,)
- Proficiency in statistical programming languages (i.e., R, M etc.,)
- Experience in engineering data in Microsoft Azure (i.e., Data Lake, Database, EventHubs, Stream Analytics, Spark, Databricks etc.,)
- A good working knowledge of databases, data warehouses, and data marts
- A strong knowledge of BI tools and systems
- A good working knowledge of database administration
- Strong communication skills
- Good analytical skills
- Be a natural problem solver
- Be able to work well in both functional and cross-functional environments
- Can work well under pressure, using own initiative as well as part of a wider team
If you believe you meet the above criteria and feel that this could be the role for you then APPLY NOW!