Mate - London
Reporting to: Head of Operations
Location: Bermondsey, London
Contract type: Permanent, Full-time
Salary: Depending on Qualifications & Experience
This is an exciting opportunity for Mates to work at City Cruises which is a leading organization of passenger services on the River Thames. We are passionate about the passenger experience and our staff, we thrive on a culture of respect and celebrate successes and achievement.
As Mate, you will bring knowledge of vessel maintenance and interpersonal skills to our team. In return we are keen to support you in developing your career in the tourism industry and provide you the opportunity to be part of an active social culture and a great team! If this role
sounds right for you, please get in touch!
Purpose of the role:
To provide City Cruises’ passengers with the best experience by, safely navigating passengers along the River Thames within our sightseeing service.
- Ensure vessels meet Company standards in terms of safety so our passengers remain safe and enjoy their experience on the River Thames.
- To comply with SMS regulations and ensure crew onboard follow and comply with these regulations and that all documentation is maintained and looked after at all times.
- Support the Captain in onboard safety training for all crew members.
- To navigate vessels on the River Thames safely in accordance with the Company passenger plan and PLA by laws and as directed by Captain.
- Safe mooring of the vessels at all times with extreme caution when embarking and disembarking passengers in accordance with the Company’s SMS.
- To provide a vessel safety announcement after leaving each pier to comply with Company SMS.
- To support the Captain in conducting a safety crew briefing every morning for tripping and functions before commencing service to the public.
- To account for and safely embark and disembark passengers from one of our recognised locations along the River Thames.
- To carry out daily vessel log checks in conjunction with the SMS procedures with specific attention to all safety equipment and engines.
- To report any maintenance checks or incidents as per the Company’s SMS to the Captain.
- Support the Captain in checking the vessel’s fuel level and if necessary, fuel the vessel before entering it into service.
- To ensure the vessel has an adequate supply of fresh clear running water onboard for passengers prior to commencing service.
- Ensure the vessel is clean, tidy and well presented at all times to comply with the Company’s SMS and London Port Health regulations.
- To provide passengers with a commentary through the City Cruises’ sightseeing journey and give them a magical experience along the River Thames.
- To give our passengers the best customer experience whilst sightseeing with City Cruises’.
- Lead by example and support the Captain to manage all crew on the vessel are well presented and groomed in Company uniform at all times when representing City Cruises’ and serving to the public.
- To promote to onboard sales and other Company products as directed.
- SCTW95 Seaman Certificate Holds or working towards BML
- Experience operating as Mate of large passenger vessels Knowledge of vessel maintenance and vessel engineering
- Full understanding of Health & Safety afloat and ashore and implementation of Safety Management System, preferably to ISM standard, would be an advantage
- Experience working within the hospitality industry
- To promote brand image of City Cruises’
- Perform great customer service
- Act with integrity at all times
- Approach everything with integrity with what you do
- Deliver excellence through profit, customer satisfaction and living our City Cruises values
- Work with empathy
- To exhibit a professional attitude at all times
- Smart/Well presented
- Excellent communication skills
- Customer focused
- Calm and able to work well under pressure
- Excellent numeracy and literacy skills
- Highly organised
- Understands, respects and follows the chain of command
- Is able to work under direction
- To be flexible in carrying out your duties at any of the Company’s locations, offices or departments and fulfill other tasks that fall within your post as required
- Company focused
- Self motivated
- Willingness to learn and progress
- Able to work to own initiative
- Problem solver with the ability to offer solutions
- Can speak a 2nd language
In return, we offer you:
- Substantial development through internal mentoring and training programmes
- Discounts through Entertainer App that offers discounts for various venues and attractions
- Complementary Sightseeing Tickets
- Two complementary dining or Thames Jet products and other discounts for our products
- Opportunity to Purchase Additional Leave via Salary Sacrifice Cycle to work scheme
- 25% discount off Virgin experiences
- Refer a friend scheme
- Pension scheme
- Free lunch provided at the Cherry Garden Pier
- Staff parties
If you believe you are suitable for this position please click apply!.
We look forward to seeing you there!
Our goal is to be a diverse workforce that is representative, at all job levels, of the citizens we serve. City Cruises is an equal opportunity employer. All aspects of employment including the decision to hire, promote, discipline, or discharge, will be based on merit, competence, performance, and business needs. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.
Perform great customer service/ Respect/ Integrity/ Deliver excellence/ Empathise