Junior Database Administrator - Nationwide
Junior Database Administrator - Nationwide
Salary up to £34,000 per annum
Closing Date for this application is 11/07/2019
If this position receives high volumes of applications we reserve the right to close this advert earlier than stated, so please apply early to avoid disappointment.
Since our launch back in 1982 we have taken the sports retail world by storm. With over 500 stores both at home here in the UK and in over 19 European countries as well as a full multi-channel retail website - we are still growing. At SPORTSDIRECT.com we pride ourselves on progression and development of our staff and many of our staff at Head Office have joined us from other areas of the business and have been here for a number of years. In the current retail world that’s quite unique and we invite you to be a part of it.
We are seeking a Junior Database Administrator to join us in our growing Data Infrastructure & Engineering team; to help support, administrate, and secure our key databases.
The team you will join:
The team consists of four core individuals (1x Data Architect, 1x Snr. DBA, 1x Data Engineer, and 1x BI Engineer), and provides, support, maintenance, and development for data infrastructure across Oracle, SQL-Server, Snowflake, SQL-Server Services (i.e., SSIS, SSRS, SSAS), and Power BI; in both on-premises and Azure environments.
As a Junior DBA, you will:
- Design, install, maintain, upgrade, administrate, secure, backup and recover the Group’s databases across production, non-production, and testing environments
- Work closely with engineers; and analysts to define and resolve information flow, and content issues, helping to enable and support the transformation of business requirements into database solutions; implementing robust, scalable applications and queries that interface with key databases
- Monitor and analyse performance metrics and then allocate database resources to achieve optimum database performance.
- Implement and perform backup and recovery procedures for the enterprise’s databases and help develop the tools and techniques that allow users to access data in a secure environment.
As a Junior DBA, you will be responsible for:
- Working under direct supervision from the Senior DBA, you will be responsible for:
- Providing production support / database access 24x7, up to Level 3 for the development, production and testing environments
- Monitoring and analysing all aspects of database utilisation for the purposes of identifying and resolving performance issues, capacity planning, and efficiency improvements
- Identifying and troubleshooting issues around performance, accessibility, availability, and operability; escalating and communicating these when necessary
- Resolving application / query-based performance issues
- Installing, configuring, maintaining, upgrading, backup and recovery of the DBMS software
- Coding, editing, and installing stored procedures and functions for accessing, maintaining, and populating databases; and scripts for automating database management operations
- Implementing and administrating security controls, privileges, and permissions around data and databases
Required education and experience:
- MUST hold bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or Mathematics, specialised training, certification or equivalent work experience
- MUST have a minimum of 2-years of database administration experience, within a production environment, with either Oracle, SQL-Server; or both
- MUST have a basic understanding of performance monitoring, analysis and tuning
- MUST have proficiency in one or more database programming languages (i.e., T-SQL, PL/SQL etc.,)
- SHOULD have experience of performing database backups; preferably using NetBackup
- SHOULD have experience in either SSRS, SSIS, SSAS
- SHOULD have experience of managing security and permissions following best practices
- SHOULD have experience of designing and implementing ETL packages using SQL Server Integration Services.
- SHOULD have a practical knowledge of isolation levels, collations; and resolving blocking and deadlocks
- NICE to have proficiency in one or more database scripting languages (i.e., PowerShell, Python etc.,)
- NICE to have experience of virtualisation (i.e., Hyper-V, VMWare etc.,)
- NICE to have experience of migrating, patching, and upgrading databases across servers and / or instances
- NICE to have experience of administrating SQL-Server 2017 in a high transactional OLTP environment
- NICE to have experience in Microsoft SQL Server clustering and disaster recovery (always on and mirroring)
- MUST have a solid working knowledge of database administration methodologies and techniques
- MUST have a good understanding of logical and physical database design principles.
- MUST have strong communication skills
- MUST be a natural problem solver
- MUST work well in both functional and cross-functional environments
- MUST exhibit flexibility when addressing daily shifting work priorities (we are a 24x7 business)
- MUST have ability to multi-task, and work well under pressure, using own initiative
If you believe you meet the above criteria and feel that this could be the role for you then APPLY NOW!