The Brasserie Restaurant and Market is currently accepting applications for the position of Pastry Chef. This position will soon expand in to operating a full service bakery including retail section. The Brasserie is located on Grand Cayman in the Cayman Islands.
A two year commitment is preferred and particular attention will be paid to candidates willing to do so, assisting with the growth of our developing culinary campus.
The Brasserie is a privately owned 80 seat fine dining restaurant with busy adjoining Market (upscale Bistro style lunch space and coffee shop), lively outdoor juice bar and recently opened Caboose Restaurant on Grand Cayman Island. We also enjoy a steady corporate catering business to our surrounding buildings. The Brasserie is a well-established restaurant with a very loyal and discerning clientele. The Brasserie enjoys a fantastic reputation on the island, voted best restaurant in The Cayman Islands, best place for lunch and best Farm to Table. It features a state-of-the-art exhibition kitchen and an adjacent organic garden. We have our own fishing boats, chicken coop, home to our laying hens, apiary and coconut plantation. We take local and sustainable very seriously and special attention will be given to applicants with experience that suggests the same.
Chef Dean James Max of DJM restaurants guides the culinary concept for the Brasserie Restaurant, a James Beard recognized chef, who has been with The Brasserie for over 10 years.
The Pastry Chef is required to produce high-end desserts for the Brasserie Restaurant's a la carte dessert menu, as well as home - made style breads and pastries for the Brasserie Market and associated outlets, including muffins, scones, cupcakes, cookies, breakfast breads and more. The Pastry Chef will be expected to ensure that all recipes, food preparations, and presentations meet the restaurant's specifications and commitment to quality. This position will report directly to the Executive Chef.
The successful applicant will:
- Be a culinary school graduate;
- Have at least 5 years’ experience in a high volume restaurant;
- Have previous fine dining pastry experience;
- Be well organized and able to effectively manage their workspace;
- Supervise the preparation, production, creation and presentation of all dessert items to the highest quality as per our brand standards. Ensure the same quality and standards are achieved by the Pastry Team;
- Develop effective procedures and menu development to assist with wastage minimization;
- Ensure the daily and weekly stock takes are correct and accurate, and at all times, ensure the kitchen has adequate supplies for the shift;
- Regularly inspect the cleanliness and re-stocking of the fridges, freezer’s, stockrooms, taking into consideration stock rotation;
- Communicate with the team through regular briefings and updates regarding the business, feedback, new menu, team, and any other relevant information;
- Mentor, supervise and train team members in line with the brand standards, ensure all training is recorded;
- Have a complete understanding of the restaurant operation, and respond to any changes in the restaurant function as requested by the Managers;
- Attend and contribute to all staff briefings/meetings and other related activities;
- Provide a courteous, professional, attentive, and efficient service at all times with guests, team members and suppliers alike;
- Have excellent time management skills and the ability to prioritize tasks;
- Be energetic, enthusiastic and able to work under pressure;
- Be able to work cohesively with co-workers;
- Be able to adjust to new environment and the Caribbean culture;
- Enjoy weekends off;
- Enjoy tax fee salary.
Starting salary US$45,000 – US$55,000 depending on experience plus gratuities and sales bonus with growth earning potential. Benefits include medical, pension and vacation.
Please send resume with 3 most recent work references and a brief cover letter addressing the above criteria. References will be called during the interview process.
The successful applicant will need to provide a clean police record.