The Principal York, adjacent to the train station and dating back to 1878, provides the first tangible glimpse of the ambitions for and investment in the Principal hotel brand. All of the hotel’s 155 bedrooms have been given a beautiful look and feel by interior architects Goddard Littlefair, whilst the refurbished public spaces include The Garden Room, with views across the hotel lawns to York Minster in the background. The hotel also has a restaurant – The Refectory Kitchen & Terrace, serving fresh, seasonal produce from “God’s Own Country” – as well as a comfortable, cosy bar called the Chapter House.
Your day to day
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Kitchen Porter to join our Kitchen team. You will carry out general cleaning duties and operate pot-washing machinery ensuring the back of house areas are kept clean and well maintained and health and safety guidelines are adhered to, including COSHH.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
• Arrive on duty at the correct time in the agreed uniform and with willingness to undertake all required duties
• General cleaning of all equipment used in the kitchen
• Complete all daily cleaning schedule tasks to the highest standard.
• Keep clean and clear pot wash and plate wash areas to Health Hygiene and Safety regulations
• Store crockery and cooking utensils in the correct places after cleaning
• Removal of refuse and cleaning of refuse areas
• Report any maintenance issues in your area to your Head of Department
• Carry out any other duties as reasonably requested by your Supervisors and Management
What we need from you
The ideal Kitchen Porter will display the following skills and attributes;
• Able to work well under pressure
• Excellent attention to detail
• High standard of personal presentation
• Confident, professional and welcoming personality
What we offer
• A competitive salary
• 28 days holiday each year, including bank holidays (this increases annually up to a maximum of 33 days)
• Hotel based incentive and recognition schemes
• Access to our Voluntary Benefits portal, which includes discounts on some travel, leisure time activities, health, retail and motoring
• Discounted accommodation with competitive colleague rates at our other hotels
• Long service awards which increase with length of service
• Excellent training and development opportunities within the hotel, the Company and our online e-learning portal
• Rewards for delivering sensational service
• Free meals on duty
Under the Immigration, Asylum and Nationality Act 2006, all prospective employees are required to provide official documentation of their eligibility to work in the UK.