Director of Human Resources - London
Director of Human Resources - St. Pancras Renaissance Hotel London
Start Your Journey With Us
We are looking forward to welcoming you into a world of career development, where there is a real focus on sharpening your skills within a world-class environment. The St Pancras Renaissance hotel promotes exceptional skills, and you will have a platform on which you can showcase your expertise and creativity. A team of passionate hospitality talent awaits you.
As our strategic Human Resources business partner you will champion, develop and implement property-wide strategies that deliver in all relevant business goals.
You are responsible for talent acquisition, succession/workforce planning, performance management and development for property employees, using technology efficiently, and coaching/developing others to help influence and execute business objectives in the most efficient manner.
As a member of the Executive Committee, you will contribute a high level of human resource generalist knowledge and expertise to your colleagues and the wider hotel team. You will generally work with considerable independence, developing processes to accomplish objectives in alignment with broader business objectives.
Additionally, you will utilise a Human Resource Road Map aligned with property and brand strategies to deliver HR services that focus on the execution of exceptional activities that deliver products and services to meet or exceed the needs and expectations of the brand’s target customer and associates and provides a return on investment to the owner and Marriott International.
You will have a dual reporting relationship to the General Manager and the Area Director of Human Resources, and will be an integral member of London HR community.
Manage the Human Resources Strategy
- Translate business priorities into property Human Resources strategies, plans and actions
- Implement and sustain Human Resources initiatives at the property.
- Lead the assessment of our leadership pipeline through human capital review and follow-up.
- Execute and follow-up on engagement survey related activities.
- Champion and build the talent management ranks in support of property and Europe’s diversity strategy.
- Create value through proactive approaches that will affect performance outcome or control cost.
- Monitor effective use of all HR systems on property. Use data to provide intelligence and guidance.
- Serve as key change manager for initiatives that have high employee impact.
- Support owners meetings provide meaning or context to the Human Resources results. Demonstrate an understanding of owner priorities.
- Lead the HR team to deliver on all goals and expectations.
Manage Staffing and Recruitment Process
- Analyse open positions to balance the development of existing talent and business needs.
- Serve as coach and expert facilitator of the selection and interviewing process.
- Surface opportunities in work processes and staffing optimization.
- Make staffing decisions to manage the talent cadre and pipeline at the property.
- Develop staffing strategy (in collaboration with hiring manager) relating to hiring practices; consults with hiring manager on compensation, benefits, etc.
- Monitor sourcing process and outcomes of staffing process.
- Ensure managers are competent in assessing and evaluating hourly staff.
Manage Employee Compensation Strategy
- Remain current and knowledgeable in the internal and external compensation and work competitive environments.
- Lead the planning of the hourly employee total compensation strategy.
- Champion the communication and proper use of total compensation systems, tools, programs, policies, etc.
- Create and implement total compensation management, particularly recognition and incentive programs directed towards property priorities.
Manage Staff Development Activities
- Ensure excellence in the performance of Human Resources team members.
- Ensure the HR team is properly trained in all aspects of HR generalist duties, most notably legal and compliance standards.
- Serve as the expert in employee relations.
- Continually reimage and reinforce positive employee relations concepts.
CONNECTING YOU AND YOUR ROLE TO OUR CORE VALUES:
Ownership - Extraordinary Operations
- Set expectations and holds all leaders accountable for demonstrating desired service behaviours.
- Review financial reports and statements to determine how each discipline is performing against budget.
- Make recommendations for CAPEX funding for any HR related activities.
- Work with GM, Exec team and HR team to determine areas of concern and develops strategies to improve the department and hotel’s financial performance.
- Establish challenging, realistic and obtainable goals to guide operation towards excellence in performance.
- Strive to improve service performance, staff engagement and guest satisfaction.
- Manage all HR contracts and partnerships.
Guests First - Extraordinary Service
- Review guest feedback with leadership team and ensures appropriate corrective action is taken.
- Stay visible and interfaces with customers on a regular basis to obtain feedback on quality of product, service levels and overall satisfaction.
- Create an atmosphere in all areas that meets or exceeds guest expectations.
- Demonstrate and communicate key drivers of guest satisfaction for the brand’s target customer.
- With colleague, analyse service issues, identifies trends, identifies and executes tactics accordingly.
- Make and execute the necessary decisions to keep property moving forward toward achievement of goals.
- Work with leadership team to develop an operational strategy that is aligned with the brand’s business strategy and leads its execution.
Teamwork -Extraordinary People
- Utilize interpersonal and communication skills to lead, influence, and encourage others; advocates sound financial/business decision making; demonstrates honesty/integrity; leads by example.
- Encourage and build mutual trust, respect, and cooperation among team members.
- Ensure that regular, on-going communication occurs in all areas of the hotel (e.g., daily, weekly, monthly meetings, 30/60/90 day reviews, annual appraisals etc).
- Establish and maintain open, collaborative relationships with direct reports and wider hotel team. Ensure other leaders do the same for their team.
- Identify the developmental needs of others and coach, mentor, or otherwise helps others to improve their knowledge or skills.
- Stay aware of market trends and introduces new concepts to meet or exceed customer and associate expectations, generate increased revenue and ensure a competitive position in the market.
Progressive - Extraordinary Innovation
- Identify opportunities and resources to implement and manage change, model flexibility in adjusting priorities as well as communicating change in a way that encourage commitment.
- Model and set expectations for solving complex problems by collecting and comparing information to evaluate new alternatives whilst considering impact and execution.
- Proactively gather and contribute ideas and shares creative solutions to make St Pancras the best possible workplace and destination of choice for our guests.
- Seek and make the most of learning opportunities to improve your own performance, or that of others
- Develop means to improve profit, including estimating cost and benefit, exploring new business opportunities, etc.
- Identify opportunities to increase profits and create value by challenging existing processes, encouraging innovation and driving necessary change.
- Create appropriate development plans which develop team members based on their individual strengths, development needs, career aspirations and abilities.
- Conduct performance review process for employees.
- Champion the hiring activities of your team.
- Be a role model and demonstrate appropriate behaviours to all.
ST PANCRAS LOW DOWN:
Doing your bit for the people around you:
- Utilise interpersonal and communication skills to lead, influence, and encourage others; advocate sound financial/business decision making; demonstrate honesty/integrity; lead by example.
- Communicate the strategic goals, the focus and the owner priorities to subordinates in a clear and precise manner.
- Leverage strong functional leadership and communication skills to influence the executive team, the property's strategies and to lead own team.
- Oversee internal, external and regulatory audit processes.
- Provide excellent leadership by assigning team members and other departments managers' clear accountability backed by appropriate authority.
- Conduct annual performance appraisals with direct reports according to standard operating procedures.
Getting your finances in order:
- Develop and manage HR budgets.
- Review and own all financial reports, comparing forecast / budget and actual performance and costs.
- Coach direct reports to address problem areas and holding team accountable for results.
- Focus on maintaining profit margins without compromising guest or employee satisfaction.
You’ll need to know your stuff and provide:
- Solid knowledge in the financial statements, data and overall operations of the hotel business.
- Guidance and structure in all aspects of HR, aligned with operational and financial, procedures in order to manage and resolve day to day and strategic challenges.
- Clarity and understanding of the wider hotel disciplines, their performance measures and impact on the financial controls.
You’ll be expected to deliver on the following:
- As an Executive Committee member, you will have full accountability for total property performance (sales, profit, guest satisfaction, associate satisfaction, operations) and will be required to monitor performance against budget, and make necessary recommendations and adjustments accordingly.
- With your colleagues, review reports and financial statements to determine operations performance against budget. Identify action plans to sustain, repair and grow or results.
- Coach and support the hotel team to effectively manage volume and spend, wages and controllable expenses.
- Ensure compliance with management contract and reporting requirements as well as with standard and local operating procedures.
- Ensure team members are cross-trained to support successful daily HR operations.
- Ensure property policies are administered fairly and consistently.
- Ensure new hires participate in the department’s orientation programme and that they receive the appropriate new hire training to successfully perform their job.
Your Key Measures for this role:
- Achievement of the Business Priorities including ADR, GOP, Guest Voice and Associate Engagement ratings.
- Marriott, BSA, ISRA and HR Audit accountability and performance.
- Positive HR Analytics performance, most notably Labour Turnover; Time to Fill; diversity measures.
- Local Balance Scorecard performance.
You know you’re doing a good job when you:
- Achieve a minimum of a P rating in your annual performance review.
- Are recognised and respected by all stakeholders as a key leader at and champion of St Pancras.
- All business measures are clearly defined, controlled and achieved.
It’s important that you:
- Have numerous years of experience as an HR leader, CIPD qualified and understand the five star, lifestyle hospitality market.
- Perform other related tasks as assigned by leadership.
- Comply with Marriott International Hotels Limited policies and procedures.
- Work the hours as required to do your job but normally not less than your contracted hours.