Communications Assistant - London
Internal Communications Assistant (Part-time / 12 Month Fixed-Term Contract)
The Zoological Society of London (ZSL), a charity founded in 1826, is a world-renowned centre of excellence for conservation science and applied conservation. ZSL’s mission is to promote and achieve the worldwide conservation of animals and their habitats. This is realised by carrying out field conservation and research in over 50 countries across the globe and through education and awareness-raising at our two zoos, ZSL London Zoo and ZSL Whipsnade Zoo, inspiring people to take conservation action.
About you: Do you excel at grammar as well as Yammer? Know your CMS from your SMS? Can write online with a flourish of design? Are ace at spelling, as well as story-telling? If so, then read on, as we may have the perfect opportunity for you.
ZSL is recruiting for a new Internal Communications Assistant on a part-time basis (3 days a week) based at ZSL London Zoo. You will be joining at a crucial time as we launch our new intranet, a way to share lots of exciting news and updates. The successful candidate will support the launch of ZSL's intranet, so engaging colleagues and encouraging user uptake with our intranet is vital to this role. The role will also support drafting content for other internal communications, managing the internal communications inbox, and supporting the Internal Communications Manager.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintain the intranet homepage ensuring the content stays fresh and relevant
- Source and write engaging content relevant to ZSL colleagues in the UK and overseas
- Encourage two-way communication within ZSL with the use of Yammer groups and comments within news items and blogs
- Produce monthly reports using google analytics highlighting user behaviour and make recommendations on how to improve user experience
- Train new content creators on how to use the intranet
- Help to develop a blogging culture within ZSL, proving writing tips and advice to bloggers
- Oversee the internal communications inbox, deciding on the best channel for sharing news and information
- Assist the Internal Communications Manager with various tasks
- Be educated to a degree level or equivalent qualification or have an equivalent level of proven work experience in an internal communications environment.
- Have a proactive approach to writing content, ensuring news stories are topical.
- Excellent working knowledge of intranet content management systems, preferably SharePoint
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills
- Strong organisational and time-management skills
Please note: This is a part-time, 12 month fixed term contract where the post holder will work a basic 22.5 hours and will be based at ZSL London Zoo, in Regents Park. The role may require occasional travel to our sister-site ZSL Whipsnade Zoo, Bedfordshire, thus having a driver’s license and access to a car is desirable but not essential.