Senior HR Business Partner - London
Senior HR Business Partner - ZSL London Zoo and Central Functions (Full-Time / Permanent)
The Zoological Society of London (ZSL), a charity founded in 1826, is a world-renowned centre of excellence for conservation science and applied conservation. ZSL’s mission is to promote and achieve the worldwide conservation of animals and their habitats. This is realised by carrying out field conservation and research in over 50 countries across the globe and through education and awareness-raising at our two zoos, ZSL London Zoo and ZSL Whipsnade Zoo, inspiring people to take conservation action.
ZSL is seeking a highly credible and collaborative individual to be our new Senior HR Business Partner who will provide operational leadership to staff within London Zoo across the Central Functions, ensuring a high quality and consistent HR service is provided. Reporting directly to the Head of HR this key position will take responsibility for strategically delivering efficient HR activities of ZSL London Zoo and the ZSL support departments to ensure that they are aligned with the business needs and HR and OD strategy.
This senior management role requires a confident, resilient and proactive individual who is capable of making operational decisions under pressure and can think strategically. We are a team with great ambition that continuously seeks to improve our approach, and are keen to meet candidates with previous experience or are currently operating as a Senior HR Business Partner and holds extensive experience working with a range of stakeholders including lawyers, Coaches, Senior Managers and Directors. The successful candidate will also possess exceptional people and project-management skills, and be able to plan and keep track of multiple projects while constantly evaluating the business environment for opportunities and threats.
This is a fantastic and exciting new opportunity for the successful candidate to take on a senior post within an established international organisation. You must be genuinely excited by the prospect of joining a world leading conservation charity such as ZSL. We have built such a strong reputation as a team internally and externally that in 2017 we won 3 external HR Excellence Awards including the prestigious Gold Award and were highly commended for the Best Learning and Development Strategy.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- To manage complex ER cases, in the areas of disciplinaries, grievances, probation, employment tribunal applications, absence management, Terms and Conditions and casework in line with ZSL procedures and statutory requirements.
- Writing job descriptions & being an active member of the job evaluation committee.
- Writing policies and ensuring that they are communicated and implemented in an effective manner.
- Managing the HR Advisor & HR Team Administrator.
- Assisting the HR systems and employee data officer with the continued development of the iTrent system.
- Act as the HR representative in the London Zoo Management Team meetings, Staff Forum, Health & Safety Steering Committee and other committees and meetings as required.
- Working with the Organisational Development & Training team to embed cultural change. Also, to promote the competency framework, engagement programmes, 360 feedback, PDRs and other initiatives as directed.
- Under the guidance of the Head of HR manage organisational change projects including restructures, reorganisations, redundancies, writing business cases with the manager and calculating costs; advising directors and managers on options and process; putting time.
- Work with the Head of Organisational Development & Training to manage cultural and behavioural change programmes.
- Associate Member of CIPD, ideally Chartered CIPD qualified.
- Significant experience developing and implementing policies, procedures and best practice guidelines.
- Proven experience managing, supporting and developing staff.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills – both oral and written.
- Previous experience of leading and managing complex employee relations casework.
- Excellent project management, research, analysis and planning experience and able to oversee multiple projects and prioritise as necessary.
- Exceptional understanding of relevant employment law and recent case law outcomes.
- Ability to work effectively with teams, Senior Managers and Directors.
- Confident in having challenging conversations and influencing at a Senior Level.
- Excellent influencing skills and credibility at Senior management level.
- Understanding of equality and opportunity and its application in an HR setting.
- A solution-focused approach and the ability to make objective decisions under pressure will make you a success in this role.
- Previous experience using HR databases and other IT systems.
Please note: This is a full-time (37.5 hours per week), permanent contract position reporting to the Head of HR. The post will be based at ZSL’s head office in Regents Park however, may occasionally require the post holder to travel to Whipsnade Zoo. Having a "can do attitude", solution-focused approach and the ability to make objective decisions under pressure will make you a success in this role.
This role offers a competitive salary plus a comprehensive benefits package including 25 days holiday, stakeholder pension where the employer minimum contribution is 7%, complimentary zoo tickets and more.