Splunk Systems Engineer - Welwyn Garden City
Tesco's Security and Capability department are now seeking a Splunk Systems Engineer to join their team!
About the Security & Capability Team
Our team is responsible for providing and maintaining tools used by Tesco in order to monitor and secure our systems, while also helping our colleagues globally.
We maintain global hybrid instances of our chosen tools for SIEM, Application Performance Monitoring, Log Monitoring, Backlog Management, Identity Access Management, Service Desk, self-help portals for colleagues and incident communications. In addition to the challenges delivering this capability brings, we're also the team responsible for the security operations centre and our security architecture, working across Tesco globally to secure our systems and data! Our Technology Risk & Compliance team works tirelessly to further develop a risk aware culture and drive audit and regulatory improvements across the technology team in all Tesco countries.
We aim to provide colleagues with a great experience by providing world class tooling, processes and advice. We believe in solutions that are either self-service or invisible to the end user - that's not always easy to achieve, but it's what we strive for.
This is a very exciting opportunity to work on one of Europe's largest Splunk platforms, ingesting several terabytes of data daily. This platform supports our worldwide Technology teams for both operations and security. The platform has been built as a multi-site cluster hybrid platform in the cloud and on-prem.
The platform serves over 1500 users and continues to become an integral part of our technology capability. This platform also powers our SIEM solution and provides critical data for our Security Operations Centre.
This role will involve the continued rollout and delivery of Splunk across our organisation. Driving on-boarding, assisting with the design, implementation and best practice for users.
Whilst specific responsibilities will be dependent upon the changing needs of the Tesco business, the following provides an overview of the role's key responsibilities:
- Support, improve and administer a hybrid Enterprise Splunk platform
- Contributing to overall product development and implementation of Splunk extensions/apps across Tesco Technology
- Building, configuring and optimising performant searches across terabytes of data ingest per day
- Responsible for delivering service improvements which include platform tuning, process automation and configuration management
- Implementing monitoring and performance management to ensure health of the platform
- Engaging stakeholders across Tesco Technology to understand user requirements and deliver customised dashboards, alerts, reporting for on-prem and cloud hosted Products and Services
- Leading training and education across all of Tesco Technology in multiple geographic locations
- Working in an agile way to deliver features quickly to meet our customer requirements
- Ability to understand complex network topologies to support delivery of new agent configurations
- Working with Splunk support and product development teams to resolve issues and influence product decisions
The Ideal Candidate
Skills relevant for the job
- Stakeholder management
- Experience of agile ways of working and DevOps
- Architecture and delivery of solutions
- Automation Deployment and Testing
Splunk Experience desired for this job
- Splunk Enterprise 6.x Cluster Administration for large scale multi-site deployments
- Splunk Common Information Model, RBAC and permissions
- Splunk Data Models and Dashboards
- Splunk configurations, dependencies, and forwarder management
- Splunk architecture and components
- Splunk advanced Search, Reporting and Splunk Enterprise Security
- Experience in Splunk platform upgrades
General Experience in:
- Linux operating system (Red Hat 6.5 & above preferred)
- Windows 2012 (and above) server administration
- Scripting experience in one or more of the following; Python / Bash / PowerShell
- Basic Network Protocol knowledge (TCP/IP, DNS, SMTP, SNMP, UDP, etc)
- Experience in working with large public cloud providers
About The Company
Our vision here at Tesco is to become every customer's favourite way to shop online, whether they are at home, out shopping, on the move, anywhere in the world.
We want our customers to be inspired and whatever they are looking for, we're finding bigger and better ways to provide it.
Everything is underpinned by our continuous drive for the best tools and technology to deliver our vision. We're driving innovation and transforming our Technology to become the world's leading e-commerce business.
We need people who share our ambition to deliver for our customers; Passionate and confident people willing to take the initiative and drive us forwards. In return we offer excitement, a great team, an excellent benefit package, and significant career development opportunities.
Joining us means playing a part in defining; building and launching an ambitious roadmap of digital products that could affect the lives of millions of people over the years to come.
We offer excellent benefits that help make Tesco a great place to work. These include but aren't limited to:
- An annual bonus scheme which you can achieve up to 3.5% of base salary
- Privilegecard (including a 2nd card for a family member) after 6 months service with 10% off most purchases at Tesco
- A retirement savings plan - 4%-7.5% contribution rate
- Life Assurance - 5 x contractual pay
- Buy As You Earn Scheme
- Save As You Earn Scheme
- Deals & Discounts through Tesco including Tesco Mobile & Tesco Bank
- Deals and Discounts through many other external businesses