Senior Product Manager - Welwyn Garden City
About The Space, Range and Display, Strategy and Ops Team
The team decide the mix of space we allocate to product groups in our stores based on business strategy, customer demographic, locations and shopping mission.
Working alongside our buying teams to build the best product displays which are easy to shop for customers, but also operationally efficient for colleagues
Strategy, Change and Simplification
The team create the strategy and long term plans to ensure we have world class tools, processes and systems for landing the best space, range and displays in store for our customers.
Whilst specific responsibilities will be dependent upon the changing needs of the Tesco business, the following provides an overview of the role's key responsibilities and measures:
- Formulate the vision, strategy and roadmap for the set of product you own in the portfolio (product mix, new products, retirement of old products), and work with others in aligning the strategic priorities, dependencies and roadmap across the product portfolio
- Quickly build market knowledge and assess new product opportunities (gathering ideas, research, carrying out analysis, refining and prioritising new requirements)
- Identify and drive improvements to the way in which product performance and service levels are measured to ensure product quality, reliability, supportability and security
- Define the boundaries of your product portfolio with other portfolios (identifying gaps, overlaps and synergies)
- Provide leadership and guidance to continuously improve the product management practice within your domain.
- Present to other Tesco product areas on your product and its engineering
- Contribute towards hiring/ building a great pool of Product Managers for your/ other functions
- Manages the roadmap and development plan
- Coordinates input to/from UX and Technology teams
- Primary resource to resolve smaller customer oriented design decisions or determines areas for investigation by data team
- This role will best suit an individual who enjoys working as part of a team, is well organised, pragmatic and a lateral thinker with an inquisitive mind who is motivated to make change for the better and, most importantly, puts our customers first.
The Ideal Candidate
You'll need to have demonstrated experience of:
- Articulating a complex product strategy in terms of consumer and business value.
- Past experience in and ability to demonstrate the 6 capabilities of Product Management (Judgement & Impact, Customer Insight, Data centric, Leading & influencing, Process & techniques, Strategy & innovation)
- Deep understanding of customer journeys and development of services to support them
- Solid technical understanding - you will need to be comfortable having technical conversations, understand the possibilities of online technologies and know when to challenge and ask questions.
- End to End Product Ownership. You will have worked across the full lifecycle of software development - define, design, develop and deliver. These will have ideally been in an ecommerce/retail environment.
- You will be able to demonstrate exposure to and experience of core development skills - information architecture, user journeys, wireframe design, testing and design briefs.
- You will be a natural planner looking ahead, raising issues, providing solutions and meeting deadlines.
- You will have a natural interest in and enthusiasm for platform technologies
- The successful candidate will have a tenacious can-do, will-do mentality. Whilst being personally robust and willing to challenge the status quo, you will work closely with other team members and must be able to bring people with you.
- Creative, analytical and pragmatic - you will be able to provide recommendations and make decisions on behalf of the customer and business.
- You will be able to demonstrate a passion for, and understanding of, new technology and consumer trends.
- Bachelors degree or equivalent qualifications/experience essential.
- Flexibility, ability to plan and organise, responsiveness, creativity, self-starter
- Able to build solid working relationships with peers and senior leadership
- Ability to demonstrate strong written, verbal communication and presentation skills to all levels of seniority and disciplines within the organisation.
About The Company
Tesco has become a market leader by doing the little things that really matter for our customers and colleagues. It is part of what makes Tesco such a great place to work and we are proud to have been accredited as one of Britain's Top Employers again this year.
We are the UK's number one retailer and we pride ourselves on offering a great shopping experience. We are passionate about our food, merchandise and services and will always try to get things right for our customers.
But did you know we also offer great job opportunities? With stores, distribution centres and offices across the UK, we have a vast variety of roles and we are always looking for people who have a hunger to work with customers and colleagues across our exciting business. We believe in treating each other with respect and giving everyone an equal opportunity to get on. It's our people that make the difference every day - helping us make a difference for our customers.
We offer excellent benefits that help make Tesco a great place to work. These include but aren't limited to:
- An annual bonus scheme which you can achieve up to 3.5% of base salary
- Privilegecard (including a 2nd card for a family member) after 6 months service with 10% off most purchases at Tesco
- Holiday starting at 25 days plus a personal day
- A retirement savings plan - 4%-7.5% contribution rate
- Life Assurance - 5 x contractual pay
- Buy As You Earn Scheme
- Save As You Earn Scheme
- Deals & Discounts through Tesco including Tesco Mobile & Tesco Bank
- Deals and Discounts through many other external businesses