Assistant Consumer Pr Manager - Shire Park
Want to join a fast-paced, creative team responsible for all consumer PR in Tesco? Then you're in luck because we're expanding.
We're a newly formed team with a big remit and an opportunity to define how Tesco does PR. Sitting in the Local Campaigns and Consumer PR team - and within the UK Marketing Communications Department - you'll be part of a team who are responsible for creating award-winning PR activations for brand and trade campaigns. You'll also support with PR-specific events, product placement and press releases.
As a 'go to' person for consumer PR, you'll champion the newly formed team and newly established channel within the business and externally. You'll also work closely with our Corporate Communications team to build good working relationships to make sure our messages are clear and consistent.
From the initial concepts through to sign-off, you'll work across the business and with our external PR agency to bring the ideas to life. You'll also work with the Insight team to create the supporting analysis, and with the Procurement team on the agency relationship to help the business with decision making.
And while you're doing all that, you'll be keeping on top of trends in retail, food and drink, non-food and more, bringing the best from outside the business and knowing where we should be looking for the next thing.
This is what we'll expect you to do and how we'll measure your success when you do it. But bear in mind that specific responsibilities can change, as they depend on the changing needs of the business.
For now, though, you will:
- report into the Consumer PR manager and help with the development of a multi-layered consumer PR plan, aligned to the strategy and UK Marketing Communications calendar to drive a compelling and cohesive brand message
- work alongside the Consumer PR manager with the management of consumer PR events and activations to agreed budget and timings, at the same time as continually looking for ways to improve and innovate, offering journalists and customers something different and exciting each time
- generate coverage and editorial content across media publications, online and offline, which is in line with the PR strategy and works alongside the marketing strategy
- help with the management of the Consumer PR budget, including raising POs
- nurture and develop existing and new relationships with key influencers and media contacts
- act as a key point of contact for all PR-related queries
- become an expert using PR media monitoring tools, using your natural inquisitive nature to develop actionable insight for the business and embed the insights into the relevant campaign effectiveness reports
- write press material when necessary
- lead the sample management for PR campaigns and act as the key day-to-day contact for the agency.
The Ideal Candidate
This role could be a great fit for a PR executive in a consumer-facing role looking for an exciting new challenge - or an account manager in a consumer PR agency looking for their first in-house role.
- excellent verbal and written communication skills: you'll need to be able to explain complex concepts to people of all levels
- to feel comfortable working with agencies and helping with budget management
- to be able to build great working relationships
- to be confident with numbers
- to be comfortable working in a vast business and a large team, as well the other marketing communications channels and campaign teams to deliver a compelling and integrated plan
- a strong network of influencers and media contacts
- a proactive attitude to generating press coverage
- excellent organisational and administrative skills
- a solid understanding of the digital channels (even better, you'll have experience working with them)
- a Bachelor's degree or demonstrable experience; an advanced degree or industry qualification would be a plus.
That's what we'd expect job-wise. As for what we're looking for in the right person, you'll be:
- a confident, sociable type who enjoys working as part of a lively and dynamic team
- well organised, flexible, pragmatic, creative and a lateral thinker
- someone with an inquisitive mind who's motivated and always wants to do the right thing for our customers
- a good communicator at all levels (not a chatterbox or a waffler, but articulate and persuasive)
- able to present work to people of all levels and disciplines
- comfortable leading an initiative from an early stage and communicating the plans to the business, while displaying the attention to detail, prioritisation and problem-solving skills needed to spot and deal with challenges as they crop up
- comfortable with ambiguity
- driven and proactive. As a new team, we're shaping our world, so you'll need to be able to drive projects forward using your initiative and internal contacts
- adaptable. From time to time, you may be asked to work on campaign communications outside of the PR channel; so you'll relish the opportunity to learn new things
- more than capable of juggling lots of different tasks at the same time
About The Company
Our vision here at Tesco is to become every customer's favourite way to shop, whether they are at home, out shopping, on the move, anywhere in the world.
Our core purpose is 'Serving Britain's shoppers a little better every day'.
Our business was built with a simple mission - to be the champion for customers, helping them to enjoy a better quality of life and an easier way of living. This hasn't changed. Customers want great products at great value which they can buy easily and it's our job to deliver this in the right way for them.
In the UK, we serve some 66 shoppers every second, so it's our goal to ensure every one of those customers experiences just a little better service on each visit.
We want our customers to be inspired and whatever they are looking for, we're finding bigger and better ways to provide it.
We need people who share our ambition to deliver for our customers; Passionate and confident people willing to take the initiative and drive us forwards. In return we offer excitement, a great team, an excellent benefit package, and significant career development opportunities.
If that sounds exciting then we'd love to hear from you.
The position will be based at our Head Office in Welwyn Garden City, but the candidate would also be expected to work from London approximately 2 days per week (either in our office in Farringdon or working from agency offices).
We offer excellent benefits that help make Tesco a great place to work. These include but aren't limited to:
- An annual bonus scheme which you can achieve up to 3.5% of base salary
- Privilegecard (including a 2nd card for a family member) after 6 months service with 10% off most purchases at Tesco
- Holiday starting at 20 days plus a personal day
- A retirement savings plan - 4%-7.5% contribution rate
- Life Assurance - 5 x contractual pay
- Buy As You Earn Scheme
- Save As You Earn Scheme
- Deals & Discounts through Tesco including Tesco Mobile & Tesco Bank
- Deals and Discounts through many other external businesses