Software Development Engineer - Shire Park
Tesco are Now Recruiting Software Development Engineers - Application BackEnd
We are now seeking creative minds who will be responsible for developing the software applications that make life easier for customers.
Our Software Engineers are responsible for the entire development and support process for a software programme. Their applications make previously complex tasks simple with the impact ranging from saving time, effort or money to re-defining normal.
Why Tesco Technology......
- We are building systems to solve real world problems at scale, with impact for tens of millions of people
- There are great engineers (and managers and product people) to learn from
- We are agile and enlightened in our approach to building software and teams
- There's a great atmosphere and we work sustainably as a team
- Tesco has a "do the right thing" mentality
- We promote flexible working
- The canteen is excellent!
Typically the role involves the following activities:
- Use my in-depth knowledge of at least one major programming language, the framework and the tool ecosystem to implement end-to-end systems, which you're able to do without assistance.
- Profile and optimise code.
- Produce test driven features in a specific programming language and demonstrate that your comfortable with the TDD cycle.
- Apply your understanding of cohesion and the SOLID principles to create well structured, maintainable software.
- Apply your understanding of threads, the threading model and concurrent programming.
- Identify patterns in code and refactor the code towards them where it increases understanding and/or maintainability with minimal guidance.
- Translate requirements into tasks & code.
- Develop high quality code that can lead to rapid delivery. Ruthlessly pursuing continuous integration and delivery.
- Commit code early and often, demonstrating your understanding of version control and branching strategies.
- Automate everything by default.
- Write secure code by default.
- Write maintainable code and observe basic hygiene practices.
- Demonstrate the importance of domain model and I coherently model a problem domain within a given context
- Implement relevant project instrumentation.
- Follow the best practices of continuous BDD/TDD/Performance/Security/Smoke testing.
- Work effectively with the product stakeholders to communicate and translate their needs into improvements in your product.
- Lead group discussions on design of particular areas and understand domain well enough to work with Product Managers to drive value
- Support production systems, resolve incidents and perform root cause analysis.
- Debug/find complex problems and support/maintain the software solution.
- Share knowledge with the wider engineering community.
- Mentor and develop those around you
- Produce proof of concepts to evaluate new tools.
The Ideal Candidate
Experience relevant for this job:
- Experience of best practice methodologies.
- Experience in one or more programming - Java and ideally other JVM languages
- Written and verbal communication skills.
- Problem solving, analysis and computational skills.
- Customer focus.
- Innovative approach to problem solving.
About The Company
Being a Software Engineer at Tesco....
Working across a number of high profile projects such as our Clubcard loyalty programme, mobile payment solutions and in-store 'scan as you shop' options, our Engineers face the challenging task of delivering incredible solutions and creative improvements; ensuring that Tesco is every customer's favourite way to shop online, whether they are at home or on the move, anywhere in the world.
As part of our Software Development Engineering team, you will work across the full software development lifecycle, liaising with Product Managers to help shape the backlog and future direction of the products we build. We firmly believe in autonomous teams, and operate full DevOps, giving our Engineers full responsibility for their work.
You'll be part of a team which demonstrates an ability to analyse problems and solve them at their root cause, recommending software upgrades for existing applications and systems ensuring that the software continues to function normally through regular use, maintenance and testing. You will design each piece of the application or system and plan how the pieces will work together, producing high quality, maintainable and resilient code; and as part of this, you'll implement and test features to a very high quality and support the product or service in testing and live environments. You'll also play an active role in our Technology community, consistently seeking out new languages and tools that will help to improve working practices across multiple teams. We work together to perform code reviews, suggest best practice improvements, and educate, review and help other engineers to grow their capability - ensuring that our work impacts the way that our entire organisation operates.
We offer excellent benefits that help make Tesco a great place to work. These include but aren't limited to:
- An annual bonus scheme which you can achieve up to 3.5% of base salary
- Colleague Clubcard (including a 2nd card for a family member) after 6 months service with 10% off most purchases at Tesco
- Holiday starting at 25 days plus a personal day
- A retirement savings plan - 4%-7.5% contribution rate
- Life Assurance - 5 x contractual pay
- Buy As You Earn Scheme
- Save As You Earn Scheme
- Deals & Discounts through Tesco including Tesco Mobile & Tesco Bank
- Deals and Discounts through many other external businesses