Systems Engineer – Windows - Shire Park
About The Tesco Technology Infrastructure Team
The Infrastructure Engineering team design, develop and operate all infrastructure used by Tesco Technology across our data centres, offices, stores and distribution centres. This encompasses multiple domains; private and public cloud, connectivity, end-user computing, CI/CD and monitoring toolkit. This includes both 3rd party and internally developed infrastructure applications and infrastructure that support the wider Tesco business.
Key activities include:
• Designs, develops and operates the Infrastructure platforms that allow development teams and business colleagues to consume infrastructure.
• Designs, develops and operates the automation to allow Infrastructure platforms to be consumed in a controlled, auditable and repeatable manner.
• Setting the strategy, objectives and high-level plans for infrastructure.
• Works with development teams to collaborate in creating appropriate infrastructure solutions.
• Evaluating partners, software and hardware and finding the right mix to deliver the strategy.
• Driving innovation at Tesco through infrastructure transformation.
• Defining and overseeing standards and simplification across the estate.
• Designing, delivering and operating new and re-usable infrastructure solutions.
The Infrastructure team are supporting both the current Infrastructure and also the work required to continue the transformation of Tesco Technologies Infrastructure to modern platforms that can be easily consumed through self-service APIs, automatically handle failures and use best of breed modern technologies.
The Role - Systems Engineer - Windows
Whilst specific responsibilities will be dependent upon the changing needs of the Tesco business, the following provides an overview of the role's key responsibilities and measures:
• Architect, Design and Deliver solutions using existing Infrastructure components. Where new infrastructure technologies are being introduced, I implement them and establish best practice for their adoption. I will resolve incidents that have not been seen before and initiate change to ensure that issues can be easily dealt with in future.
• Contribute to the Technology Roadmap for Tesco Technology Data Centres
• Evaluate new tools and techniques being able to understand their value and impact.
• Understand current application development techniques (12 factor app) and their implications to infrastructure
• Lead group design discussions on my area of expertise and be able to present with authority to a variety of audiences.
• Collaborate with Software Engineers to understand their requirements and assist them consuming Infrastructure in the most seamless way possible.
• Coach and mentor system engineers across Technology who are at a more junior level. I ensure that my own team's designs are of a high quality and I understand the impacts to any other areas of infrastructure.
• Keep my technical skills up to date and keep track of new technologies, understanding how they might benefit the Technology team and wider Tesco.
• Introduce automation to all aspects of my day to day work.
• This role will best suit an individual who enjoys working as part of a team, is well organised, pragmatic and a lateral thinker with an inquisitive mind who is motivated to make change for the better and, most importantly, puts our customers first.
The Ideal Candidate
Key Skills and Experience
You'll need to have demonstrated experience of:
• Installation, configuration and administration of estate of at least 50 Windows servers
• Excellent trouble shooting skills across a range of Windows technologies in large enterprise environments.
• Low level knowledge of Windows internals such as memory management, file system, kernel mode v user mode, processes and threads.
• Excellent knowledge of the broader Microsoft ecosystem, roadmaps and best practices.
• Previous experience at managing and configuring 100s of Windows servers.
• Previous experience at designing solutions for large complex global organisations.
• Previous experience working in an environment with a diverse range of Windows technologies.
• Previous experience working in a DevOps environment and automating Infrastructure solutions.
• Stakeholder management.
• Technical Skills.
o Windows Server - sysadmin, installation and configuration.
o Microsoft related qualification eg. MCSE or MCP
o Active Directory
o Scripting / coding skills - Powershell, Python or similar
o Networking - TCP/IP, routing, DNS, DHCP, Loadbalancers
o Desired State Configuration Tools - Chef, Ansible, Puppet or similar
o Server hardware management
o SAN storage
o Public Cloud - AWS, Azure, Google
• Flexibility, ability to plan and organise, responsiveness, creativity, self-starter
• Able to build solid working relationships with peers and senior leadership
• Ability to demonstrate strong written, verbal communication and presentation skills to all levels of seniority and disciplines within the organisation.
About The Company
Our vision here at Tesco is to become every customer's favourite way to shop, whether they are at home, out shopping, on the move, anywhere in the world.
We want our customers to be inspired and whatever they are looking for, we're finding bigger and better ways to provide it.
Everything is underpinned by our continuous drive for the best tools and technology to deliver our vision. We're driving innovation and transforming our Technology to become the world's leading retailer.
We need people who share our ambition to deliver for our customers; Passionate and confident people willing to take the initiative and drive us forwards. In return we offer excitement, a great team, an excellent benefit package, and significant career development opportunities.
Joining us means playing a part in defining; building and launching an ambitious roadmap of digital products that could affect the lives of millions of people over the years to come.
If that sounds exciting then we'd love to hear from you.
The position will be based at our Head Office in Welwyn Garden City.
We offer excellent benefits that help make Tesco a great place to work. These include but aren't limited to:
• An annual bonus scheme which you can achieve up to 3.5% of base salary
• Colleague Clubcard (including a 2nd card for a family member) after 6 months service with 10% off most purchases at Tesco
• Holiday starting at 25 days plus a personal day
• A retirement savings plan - 4%-7.5% contribution rate
• Life Assurance - 5 x contractual pay
• Buy As You Earn Scheme
• Save As You Earn Scheme
• Deals & Discounts through Tesco including Tesco Mobile & Tesco Bank
• Deals and Discounts through many other external businesses