Software Development Engineer (web) - Farringdon
About Tesco Technology
Tesco Technology Online is not your standard IT Department, we're a Technology organisation driving change and delivering value by building great products for our customers and colleagues every day.
The retail environment is changing, brought about through developments in technology. The growth of internet shopping, mobile and convenience is changing the way customers want to shop. As a retailer, the customer is at the heart of everything we do and Technology is no different; our aim is to focus on serving customers wherever, whenever and however they want to shop with us.
Our team is innovative, highly-skilled, agile, passionate and fun. If you're looking for an environment to create cutting edge solutions which make a difference to millions of customers and colleagues across the globe, then this is the place for you.
The Software Development Engineering team are responsible for the full software development lifecycle. They work with Product Managers to help shape the backlog and future direction of the products we build. They implement and test features to a very high quality and support the product or service in testing and live environments.
Our Engineers have industry-leading technical abilities, demonstrating breadth and depth of knowledge of engineering best-practices: design, design patterns, re-usability, usability, testability, version control, documentation, build, deployment and operations. They are expected to design each piece of the application or system and plan how the pieces will work together, producing high quality, maintainable and resilient code. They demonstrate an ability to analyse problems and solve them at their root cause, recommending software upgrades for existing applications and systems ensuring that the software continues to function normally through regular use, maintenance and testing.
Our Software Development Engineers can pursue 2 distinct career paths - as an individual contributor or alternatively a management route.
This role is a part of the Career Framework and the internal job title is Software Development Engineer
Successful candidates would be working in one of the following areas:
- My Tesco
- Lego (new front end for GHS)
Whilst specific responsibilities will be dependent upon the changing needs of the Tesco business, the following provides an overview of the role's key responsibilities and measures:
- Address problems at their route cause and solve problems for the long-term, balancing complexity against business value.
- Build and deploy solutions to customers for problems of significant scope and complexity.
- Contribute to the evolution of our software engineering practices, recommending changes in development, maintenance and system standards.
- Impart knowledge to users, customers, and other team members.
- Build solid working relationships with relevant personnel across Tesco.
- Consistently seek out new languages and tools that will help to improve working practices across multiple teams.
- Perform code reviews, suggesting best practice improvements.
- Educate, review and help other engineers to grow their capability
- Design and build new tools that make the organization more efficient, impacting the way the entire organisation operates.
- This role will best suit an individual who enjoys working as part of a team, is well organised, pragmatic and a lateral thinker with an inquisitive mind who is motivated to make change for the better and, most importantly, puts our customers first.
The Ideal Candidate
We are looking for people who have a passion for Technology. You will likely have made open source contributions and have a Github account. You will demonstrate experience of different platforms and technologies. We expect to see some or all of the following:
- Writing standards compliant HTML5 and CSS3
- Experience in bringing multiple viewport responsive and adaptive web designs to life
- Experience of using Node.js to create high traffic websites using Express.js, Sails, Koa or similar
- Awareness and practice of UI performance best practices
- Understanding and exposure to integrating REST API endpoints
- Strong experience and understanding of industry standard web accessibility, web design & usability; to support sites cross browser/platform/device
- A desire to write readable, maintainable, modular and extendable code
- Experience in full development life cycle; design, coding, test, build, QA, deployment and maintenance
- Exposure to the DevOps model
- Experience in Lean and Agile environments and understanding of principles behind methodologies such as: BDD, ATDD and TDD
- A desire to lead, mentor, up-skill and inspire fellow engineers
- Solid enterprise / commercial development experience
- A strong team player with the ability to influence and lead stakeholders when necessary
- Demonstrable ability to self-manage, be proactive, take ownership, build relationships and drive solutions through from inception to production
About The Company
We're striving to become every customer's favourite way to shop online & in store, whether they're at home or on-the-go. To make sure we realise that goal, we never stop pushing the boundaries through technology. That doesn't mean we fill our stores and website with gadgets and widgets (unless, of course, we think they'll help our customers) - it's more about delivering effective systems so that customers enjoy a smooth and unique shopping trip.
If that sounds exciting, then we'd love to hear from you.
The position will be based at our Tesco Online Technology in Farringdon, London.
We offer excellent benefits that help make Tesco a great place to work. These include but aren't limited to:
- An annual bonus scheme which you can achieve up to 3.5% of base salary.
- Privilegecard (including a 2nd card for a family member) after 6 months service with 10% off most purchases at Tesco.
- A retirement savings plan - 4%-7.5% contribution rate
- Life Assurance - 5 x contractual pay
- Buy As You Earn Scheme
- Save As You Earn Scheme
- Deals & Discounts through Tesco including Tesco Mobile & Tesco Bank
- Deals and Discounts through many other external businesses