Assistant Buyer - Welwyn Garden City. Hertfordshire
The Buying teams source branded and own branded products for the store and online. This is a fast paced role, and we work to deliver the best possible ranges to meet the ever changing need of the customer.
Whilst specific responsibilities will be dependent upon the changing needs of the Tesco business, the following provides an overview of the role's key responsibilities and measures:
- Providing buying support to keep the department running smoothly, report and analysis preparation for my manager
- Analysing and interpreting customer needs, markets, trends and competitor activity
- Working with the Buyer, identifying potential new products and new suppliers
- Reviewing our existing suppliers, products and ranges and analysing their performance
- Supporting the Buyer in negotiation supplier support and terms agreements to sustainably improve the trading position
- Supporting category merchandising colleagues in the trade, range and promotional planning process
- Working with suppliers and technical team to ensure product quality is achieved and maintained artwork managed
- Managing samples (incl. obtaining them from suppliers as well as storage and disposal)
- Working with HSC Admin, ensuring new products and suppliers are set up accurately and on time
- Working with buyers admin, maintaining department's systems and trackers (incl. Buyer View, EQOS, Range Plan), ensuring they are accurate and updated in a timely manner.
- Working with buyers admin to ensure Commercial Income is managed efficiently and ensuring our suppliers are invoiced correctly
- Reviewing and sharing product returns, identifying opportunities for product improvement
- Following our Business Code of Conduct and always acting with integrity and due diligence
- This role will best suit an individual who enjoys working as part of a team, is well organised, pragmatic and a lateral thinker with an inquisitive mind who is motivated to make change for the better and, most importantly, puts our customers first.
The Ideal Candidate
You'll need to have demonstrated experience of:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Numeracy and a keen eye for detail
- Self-motivated and able to work in a team, or under your own steam
- The ability to influence without authority
- Bachelors degree in relevant subject or demonstrable buying or retail experience required
- Flexibility, ability to plan and organise, responsiveness, creativity, self-starter
- Able to build solid working relationships with peers, suppliers and senior leadership
- Ability to demonstrate strong written, verbal communication and presentation skills to all levels of seniority and disciplines within the organisation.
About The Company
Our vision here at Tesco is to become every customer's favourite way to shop, whether they are at home, out shopping, on the move, anywhere in the world.
We need people who share our ambition to deliver for our customers; Passionate and confident people willing to take the initiative and drive us forwards. In return we offer excitement, a great team, an excellent benefit package, and significant career development opportunities.
Joining us means playing a part in defining; building and launching product ranges to inspire our customers and help meet their technology needs..
If that sounds exciting then we'd love to hear from you.
The position will be based at our office in Welwyn Garden City.
We offer excellent benefits that help make Tesco a great place to work. These include but aren't limited to:
- An annual bonus scheme which you can achieve up to 3.5% of base salary
- Colleague Clubcard (including a 2nd card for a family member) after 6 months service with 10% off most purchases at Tesco
- Holiday starting at 20 days plus a personal day
- A retirement savings plan - 4%-7.5% contribution rate
- Life Assurance - 5 x contractual pay
- Buy As You Earn Scheme
- Save As You Earn Scheme
- Deals & Discounts through Tesco including Tesco Mobile & Tesco Bank
- Deals and Discounts through many other external businesses