Head Of Software Development - Farringdon
About the Tesco Technology One Account UI team.
One Account UI team looks after all of the web customer experience for customer login, registration and account management. As a team we strive to offer a seamless customer account experience across all of Tesco online channels.
Built on a brand new cloud platform running on NodeJS, and using React we leverage new Customer API's allowing us to be completely stateless. Built with modern web standards, our approach is to replace existing functionality one vertical at a time. We've embraced modern testing frameworks, and strive for the principle of automation throughout our development and release cycle.
We're not running at insignificant scale either, being the one place that all Tesco customers come to login across all web channels. At peak we see over 500 logins a minute, with 100's of new customer registrations.
The team works according to Agile principles, adapting Kanban and other techniques as appropriate to succeed. Pairing is very common and all code is reviewed via Github. We are embracing continuous delivery principles, but it's a journey of continuous improvement to get there.
The team is humble and supportive of each other and highly collaborative both internally and with other teams. We're social, and egos should stay at home. We're big into internally sharing our code, and have led the way on internal libraries and resources to help other teams bootstrap web projects quicker.
As the Head of Software Development, you will lead the engineering activity creating the environment for sustainable development to exist and succeed. You will lead by example, and be responsible for:
- building a team that is able to cover the whole software development and operational demands of the area
- the budget and development process for the One Account UI team.
- driving continuous improvement of engineering practises and helping improve the efficiency of the development in Tesco
- leading engineers to write high quality code that's easy to understand and work with
- hands-on contributing to the end solution
- balancing resource requirements to ensure the needs of the product are met by the team
- ensuring impediments are removed and the demands on your team are clear, and commitments are met
- building consensus to ensure the right solution is delivered
- tracking the progress and the quality of the solutions your team delivers to ensure you provide a sustainable pace of the delivery of value
- ensuring the right team and processes are established to continually deliver quality solutions
- building for security and user data privacy
- being involved with attracting and interviewing further excellent engineers for Tesco
- Automate everything by default
The Ideal Candidate
- A strong people manager, with excellent collaboration and stakeholder management skills
- A track record of delivering large-scale, well architected web solutions at pace
- You drive and implement best practice improvements
- You confidently and competently impart knowledge to users, customers, and other team members
- Strong understanding of running production websites for high loads on AWS.
- Designing and building distributed systems, for scalability, availability and performance
- Testing everything, automating everything
About The Company
Why Tesco Technology....
- We are building systems to solve real world problems at scale, with impact for tens of millions of people
- There are great engineers (and managers and product people) to learn from
- We are agile and enlightened in our approach to building software and teams
- There's a great atmosphere and we work sustainably as a team
- Tesco has a "do the right thing" mentality
- We promote flexible working
- The canteen is excellent!
We offer excellent benefits that help make Tesco a great place to work. These include but aren't limited to:
- An annual bonus scheme of up to 45% of base salary.
- Car Allowance of £7,320 per annum
- Privilegecard (including a 2nd card for a family member) after 6 months service with 10% off most purchases at Tesco.
- A retirement savings plan: 6%-10% contribution rate
- Life Assurance - 5 x contractual pay
- Buy As You Earn Scheme
- Save As You Earn Scheme
- Health Screening every 2 years
- Deals & Discounts through Tesco including Tesco Mobile & Tesco Bank
- Deals and Discounts through many other external businesses