Lead Product Manager - Welwyn Garden City
Tesco is transforming how we buy and manage Products for Customers, re-defining how colleagues work with each other and with our partners, ensuring processes across Buy and Manage are simple, standard and effective.
In Product Transformation we are accountable for the creation of world leading technology Products which embed this best practice alongside world class data science. Together we are empowering our colleagues to deliver relevant, timely, loved, innovative and compliant products to our customers however they choose to shop with us. Joining our team of Product, Programme and Change Managers you will have the opportunity to contribute in a very real way to Tesco's success
About the role
As a Lead Product Manager in the Product Transformation team you will be responsible for managing the vision, strategy and development for a suite of applications and associated end user experiences that are key to solving problems related to how Tesco buyers and suppliers buy and manage ranges across all verticals and in all Tesco markets.
We are currently recruiting for a number of positions across our product portfolio covering the domains of Product Development, Cost and Promotion.
Whilst specific responsibilities will be dependent upon the changing needs of the Tesco business, the following provides an overview of the role's key responsibilities and measures:
Reporting to the Head of Product you will lead a small team of talented Product Managers, and are accountable for a set of complex and company strategic products within the portfolio, driving the product strategy, roadmap and execution for them.
A master practitioner of Product Management, you are responsible for ensuring that your team contains the Product management resources and skills required to ensure you can successfully execute your product strategy and roadmap.
- Have accountability for driving the product strategy, roadmap and execution for a suite of technology products across the commercial service model, and build strong relationships with a complex range of internal and external stakeholders
- Understand your business stakeholders and their pain points really well and steer your team in the right direction by putting the best team members in the most value generating products/ business priorities
- Set clear goals and KPIs for your team members and periodically review all the KPIs owned by the team spanning across multiple products and provide feedback on improving those
- Handle conflicting priorities well, communicate clearly and understand how to drive a high level of focus and excellence with a strong, talented and opinionated team
- Identify and remove impediments faced by the team by working with your Head of Product and other stakeholders and proactively flag any risks or delays in your commitments
- Contribute in capability and capacity planning to Product Management for your own Product area to ensure capacity to drive work
- Build and nurture a great team of Product Managers for your Product, based on the business needs, strategic priorities assigned and level of focus required
- Motivate the team and develop talented people by ensuring they have fulfilling roles, proper rewards and recognition strategies
- Conduct fair performance appraisals and provide constructive feedback for your team
- Collaborate with Head of Product to understand future demand and direction of your product
- Be responsible for achieving or exceeding agreed product KPIs improvements across all the products owned/ managed by your team
- This role will best suit an individual who enjoys working as part of a team, is well organised, pragmatic and a lateral thinker with an inquisitive mind who is motivated to make change for the better and, most importantly, puts our customers first.
The Ideal Candidate
You'll need to have demonstrated experience of;
- Have proven success in leading a team of highly talented and opinionated product managers and taken multiple ideas from conception to go-live, through standard software product development lifecycle and got measurable success across defined KPIs
- Experienced in capacity planning, forecasting and working with senior stakeholders to understand future demands and align allocation/ hiring
- Attitude and the aptitude to learn new product area/domain quickly, experience of retailing or a retail facing technology group would be beneficial
- Efficient in stakeholder management and has ability to steer the team in the right direction by putting best team members in the most value generating Products/ Business priorities
- Knowledge and experience of product management best practice and methodologies and strong technical experience
- Technically competent to influence and understand the solution context and approach and aid engineering in estimating the complexity of work being requested
- Understands the impact Technical debt is causing and the value Tech upgrades can bring in, and can hold the objective conversations with your technology counterparts to prioritize it during any sprint
- Have great prioritization and decision making skills and have made good decisions/ judgements around business priorities and resource allocation
- Experience in conducting fair appraisals and handling conflicts
- Experience in building/ hiring, developing a team of Product Managers
- Ability to demonstrate strong written, verbal communication and presentation skills to all levels of seniority and disciplines within the organisation.
- This job would suit a Team Player who enjoys and is inspired by working collaboratively with other members of the team and wider stakeholders
About The Company
Tesco has become a market leader by doing the little things that really matter for our customers and colleagues. It is part of what makes Tesco such a great place to work and we are proud to have been accredited as one of Britain's Top Employers again this year.
We are the UK's number one retailer and we pride ourselves on offering a great shopping experience. We are passionate about our food, merchandise and services and will always try to get things right for our customers.
But did you know we also offer great job opportunities? With stores, distribution centres and offices across the UK, we have a vast variety of roles and we are always looking for people who have a hunger to work with customers and colleagues across our exciting business. We believe in treating each other with respect and giving everyone an equal opportunity to get on. It's our people that make the difference every day - helping us make a difference for our customers.
We are proud to have an inclusive culture at Tesco where everyone is welcome and truly feels able to be themselves. At Tesco, we not only celebrate diversity, but recognise the value and opportunity it brings to enable us to serve our shoppers a little better every day. We strive to create a workforce that reflects our customers not only here in the UK, but worldwide. Our aim is to attract and welcome a diverse range applicants from all walks of life and we would love to hear from you!
We offer excellent benefits that help make Tesco a great place to work. These include but aren't limited to:
- An annual bonus scheme which you can achieve up to 3.5% of base salary
- Colleague Clubcard (including a 2nd card for a family member) after 6 months service with 10% off most purchases at Tesco
- Holiday starting at 25 days plus a personal day
- A retirement savings plan - 4%-7.5% contribution rate
- Life Assurance - 5 x contractual pay
- Buy As You Earn Scheme
- Save As You Earn Scheme
- Deals & Discounts through Tesco including Tesco Mobile & Tesco Bank
- Deals and Discounts through many other external businesses