Technical Programme Manager - Welwyn Garden City
Whilst specific responsibilities will be dependent upon the changing needs of the Tesco business, the following provides an overview of the role's key responsibilities and measures:
- Lead delivery of programs with business and/or technical risks and interfacing with numerous technology teams across the department
- Optimize program delivery methodology to deliver program goals (e.g. agile, with iterative delivery)
- Support the Engineering team to agree KPIs, measure KPIs and identify & implement improvements where needed. Evolve KPIs over time to help deliver continuous improvement within the engineering team
- Bring together, coordinate and energize technology teams to deliver program goals, ensure dependencies are understood, tracked and managed
- Create and track a plan to deliver the engineering milestones in line with the overall program goals. Own and manage plan.
- Understand trade-offs and resulting impacts; make impacts visible to Product, and/or Engineering for the right decision to be made
- Able to understand the proposed technical solutions to be able to foresee the impact on dependencies, delivery timelines and implementation plans
- Have good knowledge of Engineering best practices and practical infrastructure implementations so that you can appreciate delivery challenges and articulate impacts to stakeholders
- Understand technology concepts, grasp new ones quickly and appreciate their implications on delivery
- Co-ordinate Technical Programs with Third Party Vendors to ensure delivery timelines are met
- Co-ordinate with Third Parties for Major and Significant Issues to ensure quick resolution
- Understand technical solution and challenges arising from Major issue to ensure preventive and corrective measures are taken to protect the relevant business area
- Can effectively communicate at different levels to ensure stakeholders are updated with the right information to drive the correct decisions
- Collaborate with the Product and Engineering teams to report on program funding
- Build positive relationships with internal and external stakeholders and suppliers to deliver software or professional services
- Coach peers and other roles, teaching where required, on methodologies and program management tools
- This role will best suit an individual who enjoys working as part of a team, is well organised, pragmatic and a lateral thinker with an inquisitive mind who is motivated to make change for the better and, most importantly, puts our customers first.
The Ideal Candidate
- Can motivate & lead 3rd parties, offshore & UK virtual teams
- Successful at helping business teams, who are used to very waterfall technology delivery, to using agile product techniques and processes
- High Influencing skills
- Able to build strong relationships fast
- Builds stakeholders confidence fast and accurately sets their expectations
- Enjoys making communications visually engaging
- Learn fast and put rigorous process in to drive out the business outcomes they are responsible for
- Understands the technology they are delivering in a deep way so that they can assess risk and be a valuable contributor in making the right technical decision
- Can handle complex technical & business dependencies and then create appropriate plan or approach
- Hands on experience of using agile project tools such as Jira
- Able to draw solution architecture of the technology solution they are delivering
- Track and report on finances where necessary
- Can handle multiple projects at the same time with different contexts
- Comfortable with changing work environment or change in work focus
- Confident in engaging with infrastructure specialists and software engineers
- OK to occasionally travel abroad to countries operates in or develops software
- Obsessed with quality throughout the technology delivery life cycle right from ideas being formed to their realisation in live and creating value to our business - including quality of requirements, technology solution design, software delivery process, decision making processes and implementation
- Obsessed with creating fully robust solutions including delivery of automation of testing and high effective monitoring & alerting
- Have successfully cutover from live operations where the level of risk of getting it wrong is brand impacting and could impact millions of customers and thousands of colleagues
About The Company
Our vision here at Tesco is to become every customer's favourite way to shop online, whether they are at home, out shopping, on the move, anywhere in the world.
We want our customers to be inspired and whatever they are looking for, we're finding bigger and better ways to provide it.
Everything is underpinned by our continuous drive for the best tools and technology to deliver our vision. We're driving innovation and transforming our Technology to become the world's leading e-commerce business.
We need people who share our ambition to deliver for our customers; Passionate and confident people willing to take the initiative and drive us forwards. In return we offer excitement, a great team, an excellent benefit package, and significant career development opportunities.
Joining us means playing a part in defining; building and launching an ambitious roadmap of digital products that could affect the lives of millions of people over the years to come.
If that sounds exciting, then we'd love to hear from you.
The position will be based at our Welwyn Garden City, Hertfordshire Campus.
We offer excellent benefits that help make Tesco a great place to work. These include but aren't limited to:
- An annual bonus scheme which you can achieve up to 3.5% of base salary
- Colleague Clubcard (including a 2nd card for a family member) after 6 months service with 10% off most purchases at Tesco
- Holiday starting at 25 days plus a personal day
- A retirement savings plan - 4%-7.5% contribution rate
- Life Assurance - 5 x contractual pay
- Buy As You Earn Scheme
- Save As You Earn Scheme
- Deals & Discounts through Tesco including Tesco Mobile & Tesco Bank
- Deals and Discounts through many other external businesses