Assistant Buyer - Shire Park
The stationery Buying team source branded and own branded products for the store and online. This is a vast product category, and we work to deliver the best possible ranges to meet the need of our customer.
This role is a key part of the buying department team, supporting the Buying Manager to ensure our customers can buy great quality products at the best price.
Whilst specific responsibilities will be dependent upon the changing needs of the Tesco business, the following provides an overview of the role's key responsibilities and measures:
- Providing buying support to keep the department running smoothly, report and analysis preparation for my manager
- Understanding customer needs, market trends and competitor activity
- Helping source products for our department, working with International Sourcing
- Identifying potential new products and new suppliers
- Reviewing (with support) our existing suppliers and their performance
- Negotiating (with support) supplier terms agreements (incl. returns), improving the trading position sustainably
- Supporting category merchandising colleagues in the trade planning process
- Working with suppliers and technical team to ensure product quality is achieved and maintained artwork managed
- Managing samples (incl. obtaining them from suppliers as well as storage and disposal)
- Working with HSC Admin, ensuring new products and suppliers are set up accurately and on time
- Maintaining department's systems and trackers (incl. Buyer View, EQOS, Range Plan), ensuring they are accurate and updated in a timely manner.
- Loading Commercial Income and ensuring our suppliers are invoiced correctly
- Reviewing and sharing product returns, identifying opportunities for product improvement
- Following our Business Code of Conduct and always acting with integrity and due diligence
The Ideal Candidate
You'll need to have demonstrated experience of:
- Influencing and stakeholder management
- MS Office (esp. Excel)
- FMCG retail (ideally multi-channel)
- Product development and sourcing
- Report preparation and analysis
- Strategic thinking to plan and execute ranges to meet customer needs
- Ability to interpret large amounts of data to drive out the right decision
- Able to foster good supplier relationships
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Numeracy and a keen eye for detail
- Self-motivated and able to work in a team, or under your own steam
- Flexibility, ability to plan and organise, responsive, creative, self-starter
- Able to build solid working relationships with peers, suppliers and management
About The Company
Our vision here at Tesco is to become every customer's favourite way to shop, whether they are at home, out shopping, on the move, anywhere in the world.
We need people who share our ambition to deliver for our customers; Passionate and confident people willing to take the initiative and drive us forwards. In return we offer excitement, a great team, an excellent benefit package, and significant career development opportunities.
Joining us means playing a part in defining; building and launching product ranges to inspire our customers and meet their stationery product needs, by whatever channel they need it.
If that sounds exciting then we'd love to hear from you.
The position will be based at our office in Welwyn Garden City.
We offer excellent benefits that help make Tesco a great place to work. These include but aren't limited to:
- An annual bonus scheme which you can achieve up to 3.5% of base salary
- Colleague Clubcard (including a 2nd card for a family member) after 6 months service with 10% off most purchases at Tesco
- Holiday starting at 20 days plus a personal day
- A retirement savings plan - 4%-7.5% contribution rate
- Life Assurance - 5 x contractual pay
- Buy As You Earn Scheme
- Save As You Earn Scheme
- Deals & Discounts through Tesco including Tesco Mobile & Tesco Bank
- Deals and Discounts through many other external businesses