Assistant Merchandise Planner - Welwyn Garden City. Hertfordshire
About The General Merchandise Home Commercial Product Team;
The GM Home Commercial Product Team is a team of product designers, customer insight and strategy analysts, trade planning, buying and merchandising teams.
Whilst working extremely closely with the buying team, merchandising is about planning and developing a strategy to enable Tesco to sell a range of products that delivers the sales and profit targets, whilst managing stock levels in line with targets. It's often explained as getting the right product, in the right place, at the right time, with the right quantities at the right price.
The Role - Assistant Merchandise Planner
Whilst specific responsibilities will be dependent upon the changing needs of the Tesco business, the following provides an overview of the role's key responsibilities and measures:
- Trades and manages a WSSI area with the support of MPM; addressing the gaps between budget and forecast, accurate weekly re-assessment of the sales and profit to plan and manages necessary changes to commitment.
- Product life cycle management / line level forecasting; assists the MPM by preparing production plans for key suppliers, ensuring these are within the OTB requirements, driving margin benefits and protecting launch dates working to critical path. Providing support and coaching to merchandise admin.
- Cultivates relationships with the supply chain / store stock planning / Suppliers / Tesco Bengaluru /Tesco Sourcing - liaising regularly to have accurate intake forecasts, prioritising goods in or making amendment to the allocation plans - adapting and reacting to current trade.
- Assisting the MPM and working alongside the Buying and Trade planning teams with having a clear promotional strategy / plan and critical path working to deadlines and reacting to trade / wider market.
- Contributes to SWOT/Strategy meetings, identifies and investigates anomalies in the data analysis, understanding how to interpret and conclude, whilst having an understanding of the Tesco's customer and formats.
- Assists MPM and working collaboratively with the buying team in analysing the new proposed range to ensure it best fits the space and profit KPIs, understanding the deadlines and supporting MPM in the range sign-off.
- Initiates ad-hoc analysis on own area in response to trade. Providing accurate data for all forecasts, highlighting risks and opportunities to MPM.
- This role will best suit an individual who enjoys working as part of a team, is well organised, pragmatic and a lateral thinker with an inquisitive mind who is motivated to make change for the better and, most importantly, puts our customers first.
The Ideal Candidate
You'll need to have demonstrated experience of:
Analysing and interpreting data, identify trends and potential risks and opportunities and taking action quickly.
- Is proficient in basic maths for retail and applies it accurately
- Demonstrates a full working knowledge of, and ability to manage multiple critical paths, understanding the impact of missing any key dates
- Is proficient in MS Excel and key merchandising systems (e.g. Line Flow, WSSI) with SQL if relevant to role
- Is a solid communicator with strong listening skills, able to take people with you cross-functionally
- Commercial awareness - Knows the full customer and competitor set; can explain their positioning in the market and compared to Tesco.
- Flexibility, ability to plan and organise, responsiveness, creativity, self-starter
- Able to build solid working relationships with peers and senior leadership
- Ability to demonstrate strong written, verbal communication and presentation skills to all levels of seniority and disciplines within the organisation.
About The Company
Our vision here at Tesco is to become every customer's favourite way to shop, whether they are at home, out shopping, on the move, anywhere in the world.
We want our customers to be inspired and whatever they are looking for, we're finding bigger and better ways to provide it.
Everything is underpinned by our continuous drive for the best tools and technology to deliver our vision. We're driving innovation and transforming our Technology to become the world's leading retailer.
We need people who share our ambition to deliver for our customers; Passionate and confident people willing to take the initiative and drive us forwards. In return we offer excitement, a great team, an excellent benefit package, and significant career development opportunities.
Joining us means playing a part in defining; building and launching an ambitious roadmap of digital products that could affect the lives of millions of people over the years to come.
If that sounds exciting then we'd love to hear from you.
The position will be based at our Welwyn Garden City campus.