Head Of Product (data) - Welwyn Garden City
This role is critical in developing the data products, to enrich and enhance information supporting: Fulfilment, Stores, Suppliers and Product. Leveraging a landscape of massive data, insights and applications will be built off the stitching and intersection of atomic level source system data, tied together into actionable and extensible fabric.
This role will best suit an individual who enjoys leading and mentoring a small and focused team, is well organised, pragmatic and a lateral thinker with an inquisitive mind who is motivated to make change for the better and, most importantly, puts our customers first.
Whilst specific responsibilities will be dependent upon the changing needs of the Tesco business, the following provides an overview of the role's key responsibilities and measures:
- Define the long-term vision for the data products across Tesco and own the agile delivery for a set of complex products with clearly defined outcomes within a product portfolio. Work cross-functionally with stakeholders, design, engineering, programme management etc to release value incrementally.
- Responsible for taking multiple business ideas or unstructured problems from inception to production and building user-centric, scalable, world-class products that deliver significant business value.
- Foster a culture of empowered decision making and speed throughout your team. Build trusted relationships with stakeholders based on agreed outcomes and credible roadmaps to deliver on them.
- Lead/manage/recruit/inspire/develop a team of product managers to deliver impactful products with meaningful business outcomes, using your knowledge, judgment, and skill to ensure your team is working on the right priorities with right level of effectiveness.
- Set clear goals and KPIs for team members and periodically review all the KPIs owned by the team spanning across multiple products.
- Act as an advisor to the Director on team-related issues and strategic direction of the team and for overall portfolio of products required to deliver the business strategy within the unit.
- Enable your team to deliver results. Identify and remove impediments to ensure the team is successful in delivering the committed deliverables.
- Collaborate with Director to understand future demand and direction.
- Responsible for achieving or exceeding agreed product KPI improvements across all the Products owned/managed by the team.
- Understand the concepts of Systems Thinking and apply it to organize Products/Services and Teams accordingly.
- Manage resources within the constraints of the budget provided/allocated and effectively utilize available capacity across different ownership areas to drive prioritized work.
- Maintain and establish new relationships with suppliers and business partners to deliver on your objectives.
- Responsible for making build vs buy decisions in collaboration with senior technology counterparts based on what is best for the product strategy.
- Play a major role in the interview processes for Product positions and champion 'raising the bar' on the capability of the product family.
- Create a culture of innovation and continuous improvement of delivery methodologies.
- This role will best suit an individual who enjoys working as part of a team, is well organised, pragmatic and a lateral thinker with an inquisitive mind who is motivated to make change for the better and, most importantly, puts our customers first.
The Ideal Candidate
You'll need to have demonstrated experience of:
- Domain expertise in data or platforms
- Have proven success in setting product strategies and managing multiple products from conception to go-live, through standard software product development lifecycles to achieve measurable success across defined KPIs.
- Experience in setting product objectives, goals and KPIs/metrics and leading the team to either achieve or exceed them.
- Experience making build vs. buy decisions and vendor selections through request for proposal processes.
- Experienced in capacity planning, forecasting and working with senior stakeholders to understand future demands and align allocation/ hiring.
- Efficient in stakeholder management and has ability to steer the team in the right direction by putting best team members in the most value generating products/ business priorities.
- Technically competent to influence and understand the solution context/approach and aid engineering in estimating the complexity of work being requested.
- Understand the impact of Tech debt and the value Tech upgrades can bring in, and can hold objective conversations with technology counterparts to prioritize it during any sprint.
- Have great prioritization and decision making skills and have made good decisions/ judgements around business priorities and resource allocation, etc.
- Experience in conducting fair appraisals and handling conflicts.
- Experience in building/hiring world class teams.
- Flexibility, ability to plan and organise, responsiveness, creativity, self-starter
- Able to build solid working relationships with peers and senior leadership
- Ability to demonstrate strong written, verbal communication and presentation skills to all levels of seniority and disciplines within the organisation.
About The Company
Our vision here at Tesco is to become every customer's favourite way to shop, whether they are at home, out shopping, on the move, anywhere in the world.
We want our customers to be inspired and whatever they are looking for, we're finding bigger and better ways to provide it.
Everything is underpinned by our continuous drive for the best tools and technology to deliver our vision. We're driving innovation and transforming our Technology to become the world's leading retailer.
We need people who share our ambition to deliver for our customers; Passionate and confident people willing to take the initiative and drive us forwards. In return we offer excitement, a great team, an excellent benefit package, and significant career development opportunities.
Joining us means playing a part in defining; building and launching an ambitious roadmap of digital products that could affect the lives of millions of people over the years to come.
If that sounds exciting then we'd love to hear from you.
The position will be based at our Digital Innovation Centre in Farringdon, London.
We offer excellent benefits that help make Tesco a great place to work. These include but aren't limited to:
- An annual bonus scheme of up to 45% of base salary
- Car Allowance of £7,320 per annum
- Colleague Clubcard (including a 2nd card for a family member) after 6 months service with 10% off most purchases at Tesco.
- A retirement savings plan: 6%-10% contribution rate
- Life Assurance - 5 x contractual pay
- Buy As You Earn Scheme
- Save As You Earn Scheme
- Health Screening every 2 years
- Deals & Discounts through Tesco including Tesco Mobile & Tesco Bank
- Deals and Discounts through many other external businesses