Software Development Engineer (apps) - Farringdon
About Tesco Technology
Tesco Technology Online is not your standard IT Department, we're a Technology organisation driving change and delivering value by building great products for our customers and colleagues every day.
The retail environment is changing, brought about through developments in technology. The growth of internet shopping, mobile and convenience is changing the way customers want to shop. As a retailer, the customer is at the heart of everything we do and Technology is no different; our aim is to focus on serving customers wherever, whenever and however they want to shop with us.
Our team is innovative, highly-skilled, agile, passionate and fun. If you're looking for an environment to create cutting edge solutions which make a difference to millions of customers and colleagues across the globe, then this is the place for you.
The opening date for this role is Tuesday 17th April - with the closing date being Thursday 17th May 2018. Salary £45,000-£65,000
We love to work with smart people who have a strong sense of ownership and strong engineering mindset. You provide mobile perspective and context for technology choices. You're up to the challenge of device and mobile network limitations, device fragmentation, and other mobile development curve balls. You are motivated to tackle ambiguous situations with new technologies to rapidly produce prototypes. You outline paths from prototype to product. You are a technical leader for your team. You contribute to the professional development of colleagues, improving their technical knowledge and the engineering practices on your team.
- Be heavily involved with design and product teams to understand needs, propose features, create early prototypes and transform them into exciting end consumer features.
- Architect new end-to-end features that bring shopping innovations to mobile, TV and wearable audiences.
- Write clean, maintainable code and perform peer code-reviews.
- Deep-dive into client or server systems to optimize for performance, maintainability, scalability, extensibility as needed.
- Propose innovative tools, frameworks, automations and processes that are used by the entire mobile shopping team for development.
- Mentor team members to promote engineering excellence
The Ideal Candidate
We are looking for people who have a passion for Technology. You will likely have made open source contributions and have a Github account. You will demonstrate experience of different platforms and technologies. We expect to see some or all of the following:
- Experience architecting complex mobile applications
- Significant commercial software development experience in Java and/or Swift/Objective C
- BS/MS in Computer Science or equivalent
- Firm understanding of software development principles, capabilities and limitations of mobile platforms (iOS and Android)
- Passion for mobile development. We would love to hear about apps you've developed.
- Understanding and exposure to integrating REST API endpoints
- Strong experience and understanding of industry standard mobile accessibility
- A desire to write readable, maintainable, modular and extendable code
- Experience in full development life cycle; design, coding, test, build, QA, deployment and maintenance
- Exposure to the DevOps model
- Experience in Lean and Agile environments and understanding of principles behind methodologies such as: BDD, ATDD and TDD
- Solid enterprise / commercial development experience
- A strong team player with the ability to influence and lead stakeholders when necessary
- Demonstrable ability to self-manage, be proactive, take ownership, build relationships and drive solutions through from inception to production
About The Company
We're striving to become every customer's favourite way to shop online & in store, whether they're at home or on-the-go. To make sure we realise that goal, we never stop pushing the boundaries through technology. That doesn't mean we fill our stores and website with gadgets and widgets (unless, of course, we think they'll help our customers) - it's more about delivering effective systems so that customers enjoy a smooth and unique shopping trip.
If that sounds exciting, then we'd love to hear from you.
The position will be based at our Tesco Online Technology in Farringdon, London.
We offer excellent benefits that help make Tesco a great place to work. These include but aren't limited to:
- An annual bonus scheme which you can achieve up to 3.5% of base salary.
- Privilegecard (including a 2nd card for a family member) after 6 months service with 10% off most purchases at Tesco.
- A retirement savings plan - 4%-7.5% contribution rate
- Life Assurance - 5 x contractual pay
- Buy As You Earn Scheme
- Save As You Earn Scheme
- Deals & Discounts through Tesco including Tesco Mobile & Tesco Bank
- Deals and Discounts through many other external businesses