Food & Beverage Manager - Skipton
Food & Beverage Manager - The Coniston Hotel Country Estate and Spa, Skipton
The Coniston Hotel Country Estate and Spa offers a fantastic opportunity to anyone looking to join a rapidly growing business with an ambition to be a significant landmark hotel. The 71 bedroom 4 AA star hotel also plays host to a wide array of activities on the 1400 acre estate which includes; a state of the art spa, a Shooting Ground (CPSA Premier standard), voted best Shooting Ground in the UK this year. Falconry Centre, 4x4 Off-Road Experience, Fly-Fishing on the 24 acre lake or River Aire and Archery.
The Huntsman’s Lodge and MacLeod’s restaurant and bar form the heart of the hotel and both offer a wide range of locally produced food. We offer excellent conference and meeting facilities forming the base of unique team building days. Weddings are also a significant part of our business.
We are a family run hotel which is privately owned by the Bannister family, who are involved in the day to day running of the business.
The existing 150 plus Coniston Hotel team are very customer centered and if you pride yourself on delivering excellent customer service then you will fit in well.
The role holder will be responsible for working closely with the General Manager to develop long term relationships with future and new clients and maintain excellent relationships with current clients with the aim of securing long term business and maximizing revenue. Operationally the role holder will provide the highest levels of front of house service to all guests managing the day to day running of all of the hotel’s food and beverage offerings to consistently exceed customer expectations. This is an extremely hands on role delivering a high quality service to a range of people from those attending large functions and corporate events, guests staying at the Hotel and diners who have chosen it as their preferred lunch time or evening venue. This is a fast paced role and requires an individual with excellent leadership skills and a strong commercial focus who can work under pressure to manage the varied requirements of different types and numbers of guests.
Reporting to: Directors
Responsible for: Restaurant Manager, Food & Beverage Supervisors and staff
- Work closely with the Management Team to develop and build on relationships with future, new and existing clients to secure long term business
- Promote a culture of professionalism and inclusivity by actively promoting and role modelling the Company’s ‘Staff Code of Conduct’ and encouraging your Supervisors to do the same.
- Actively take responsibility for building on and complementing the existing family run culture aiming to exceed customer expectations at all times
- Manage complaints to successful resolution and take remedial action to ensure that there are no repeat complaints of a similar nature
- Lead, motivate and inspire your team to consistently aim to exceed customer expectations
- Aim to exceed revenue for food and bar sales by ensuring Supervisors and staff always maximize up-selling opportunities
- Review the food and beverage sales figures on a weekly basis. Provide your own management information to theGeneral Manager on food and drink trends, average spend per head, stock controland data collection from customers
- Ensure that staffing costs are within budget and where possible under-budget, where an overspend is necessary, provide the justification for this to the General Manager
- Plan the weekly rota’s in line with the needs of the business
- Ensure that the system of working is adhered to at all times to ensure the smooth and effective flow of customers through the restaurant service.
- Have a full knowledge at all times of what the bedroom occupancy rate is along with what functions are taking place
- Ensure that excellent working relationships are maintained between the restaurant staff, kitchen staff and wedding coordinators within the spirit of the Company’s Staff Code of Conduct.
- Take ownership for leading and managing all of weddings and conferences, with support from the wedding coordinators and the Events and Conference Manager
- Ensure good housekeeping by handing over to the next shift with everything in the same condition and location as when you arrived.
- Develop your Supervisors on a daily basis by coaching them to build on their areas of strength and develop in areas of the role where they are not as skilled.
- Actively encourage your all your staff to obtain customer feedback and contact details
- Encourage team working by ensuring that if your staff are not busy with customers they actively look for things to do
- Ensure that all of your staff attend the mandatory health and safety sessions.
- Conduct on the job training for new staff and staff who are requested to do something different.
- Provide coaching and training to your staff in line with their personal development plans
- Work closely with the HR Manager to ensure that staff PDP’s are reviewed informally on a monthly basis and more formally at the mid-year and end of year reviews
- Excellent communication skills both written and oral
- Excellent management and leadership skills
- Excellent attention to detail
- Passionate about providing excellent customer service
- A proven relationship builder with the ability to liaise effectively with all areas of the business
- Able to work well under pressure
- Previous experience of working in a similar role in a 4 star hotel, focusing on a range of customer requirements
- Strong commercialand financial acumen
- Extensive experience of working as an Food and Beverage Manager in a four star hotel