Recreation Assistant - London
Recreation Assistant - London
Reports to: Operations Manager
Hours: Part time, including evening and weekends
Contract: Permanent, part time, 20 hours per week
Start Date: ASAP
The Recreation Assistant is responsible for the preparation, cleaning and general safety of areas in the Aquatic & Fitness Center, including administering first aid. In ‘wet-side’ facilities, they will have a key responsibility for the safety of visitors in the swimming pool and its surrounding areas, while on a lifeguarding rota. In ‘dry side’ facilities, they will be responsible for advising visitors on safe use of exercise equipment and to recommend safe and effective personal and sport specific team programmes. They will be involved in setting up, taking down, and maintaining the equipment. The role holder will be engaged in motivating visitors to achieve their goals and to deliver truly excellent service, through writing bespoke programs and assisting the PE and Athletics departments in delivering their schedules. There will be requirement to work outside normal weekday hours, including evenings, weekends and public holidays.
Summary of duties
- Ensuring safe and secure environment for employees, students and visitors
- Preparing activity areas to include the safe setting up/dismantling of equipment and ensuring that all equipment is stored safely and securely when not in use
- Routine maintenance and cleaning of gym and swimming pool equipment and changing rooms
- Ensuring the highest possible standards of hygiene and cleanliness are maintained by carrying out routine and other cleaning tasks when required
- Assisting visitors with enquires in a friendly and effective manner, proactively developing and maintaining high standards of customer care
- Working on reception when required.
- Working as part of a team to ensure the smooth operation of the facility
- Following Normal Operating Procedures and Emergency Action Plan
- Accurately filling in forms or reports relating to their normal duties
- Taking responsibility for the induction and development of new members of staff, students and visitors
- In a wet-side facility, supervising the safety of the swimming pool environment and working to prevent accidents and emergencies
- Taking responsibility for the opening and closing of the facilities
- To administer First Aid as required
- Take regular water tests
- Attendance at regular pool training
- Any other duties as are within the scope, spirit and purpose of the job as requested by the Assistant Manager or Operations Manager
- Suitable and substantial face to face customer service experience in a similar role.
- Appropriate professional qualifications including STA lifeguard qualifications.
- Knowledge of Health and Safety legislation and other legislation in relations to leisure center operations.
- Understanding of Normal Operating Procedures and Emergency Action Plan.
- Recognized First Aid qualifications.
- Ability to work flexible hours.
- The ability to deliver high quality service with minimum supervision.
- The ability to assist customers and their queries and concerns with tact and sensitivity.
- A proven commitment to the safeguarding and welfare of children.
- Experience working in an educational institution or with young people.
- ASA level 1 or Level 2.
- Exercise to music or fitness qualifications.
- Knowledge and understanding of international and/or independent school communities.
This position description is current at the date shown but following consultation may be changed to reflect or anticipate changes in the role that are commensurate with the job title and salary.
The American School in London is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all employees and volunteers to share this commitment. Safer recruitment practice and pre-employment checks will be undertaken before any appointment is confirmed. A disclosure from the Disclosure and Barring Service will be requested for all successful applicants.
Diversity and equality of opportunity are cornerstone values of The American School in London.