About the course
10-DAY ADVANCED BARTENDING
WHAT TO EXPECT FROM YOUR 10-DAY ADVANCED BARTENDING
The 10-Day Advanced Bartending is EBS’s ultimate bartending course; it was designed to allow competent bartenders to take their abilities to the next level in terms of cocktails, equipment and ingredients. The course will cover a variety of methods and will focus on both the practical and theoretical sides of the profession. The 10-Day Advanced Bartending is the obvious next step for former EBS students and bartenders who have existing bartending experience. If you want to provide seamless customer service with personality, demonstrate your extensive bartending knowledge and practical prowess, the 10-Day Advanced Bartending is the only course for you!
Each module has been carefully created in order to put you leagues ahead of the competition within the industry. Our industry-leading instructors are constantly updating the course curriculum so you can enter the course safe in the knowledge that you will be taught the most up-to-date tricks of the trade.
AT EBS YOU’RE TRAINED BY THE BEST OF THE BEST
The 10-Day Advanced Bartending is currently on offer at #EBSStockholm and #EBSNewYork. These are the perfect bartending cities for you to explore and to take your bartending skills to new, professional heights. Stockholm is renowned for high-end bartending and New York is home to the world’s best bars. Your 10-Day Advanced Bartending course is your opportunity to learn exceptional bartending skills, so you can truly impress behind the bar.
MIXOLOGIST VS. THE MODERN BARTENDER – WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE?
Jerry Thomas, known as the ‘American Father of Mixology’worked as a bartender in San Francisco, in the 1860’s. How much do you think mixology has progressed since then? You will learn about the history and progression of mixology and learn what it takes to become a mixologist. You will analyse the word ‘bartender’, what it has Represented throughout history and what it means today.
PRE-PROHIBITION AND PROHIBITION ERAS
American Prohibition changed society’s position on alcohol; this is why it is essential to be familiar with this era. Many drinks were invented in the lead up to prohibition. Some of these classic drinks have remained in circulation since the 1800’s and you will learn some of the original recipes and taste them! You will learn:
- What people drank before, during and after prohibition
- Drinks that pre-date the cocktail such as punch, cobblers and slings
- The history of cocktails, which year they were founded and who invented them
THE JOURNEY OF THE BARTENDER – FROM PAST TO PRESENT
Learn about the history of the bartender, how the industry and the craftsmen have been changing and developing the profession over the years. In addition, you will discover the importance of ingredients, techniques and equipment in making quality cocktails.
METHODS / TECHNIQUES AND EQUIPMENT
We are going to teach you what it takes to make a cocktail taste absolutely perfect.You will learn the different methods, techniques and types of equipment needed to make drinks, along with the explanations. After this, you’ll know why James Bond asks for a ’martini shaken not stirred’. You will learn:
- Which method is most suitable for different drinks
- Why some drinks are shaken, stirred or rolled
- Equipment that is used nowadays, measuring devices like jiggers and special cocktail shakers
- Some of the equipment used in the industry’s history such as a ‘Lewis Bag’, old measurements like wineglasses and tablespoons
- How to shake a drink, types of shakers, why they affect the cocktails that we are drinking
- How to stir a drink properly
- Different types of bar spoons
- Different mixing techniques
COCKTAIL CATEGORIES, FAMILIES AND THEMES
To fully understand and appreciate a drink you must taste it! Learn about the history of these drinks and then get your taste buds tingling with a tasting session of cocktails from different families. You will:
- Understand the history of these drinks, when they were invented, recipes, typical ingredients and equipment used to make them etc
- Use modern techniques and styles to create signature cocktails from Johannes Kinch & Marian Beke using stylish techniques, ingredients, products and garnishes
- Have a tasting session of around 20 drinks, from classic favourites to modern day marvels.
Now you can put your homemade knowledge into practise by making some of these exciting ingredients from scratch. This is how you will become more knowledgeable, we want to give you “hands-on” training
- Create your own products such as purées, foams, syrups and cordials etc
- Understand the quality of a cocktail
- The importance of the appearance of a cocktail
BASIC MOLECULAR MIXOLOGY
You will learn the basics of molecular mixology, how to create your own dust with Green Chartreuse or Aperol. Furthermore, you will learn how to smoke a cocktail, make caviar and different variations of foam and the interesting process of fat-washing.
You will study ice as a vital ingredient in a drink. You will learn:
- How to use ice to change the dynamics of a drink
- Why certain types and shapes of ice are important
- How to shape different pieces of ice by using a knife or an ice pick
- The purpose of the ice, if you want the drink to last longer or to dilute it, or simply, just to get it as cold as possible!
SEMINARS FROM INDUSTRY EXPERTS
Once or twice a week, we will have a seminar by an industry expert and discuss a particular spirit in detail, such as, cognac, gin, rum and tequila. Each seminar will include a look at the history of the spirit (from their creation until now), a creation session in which we will make some classic drinks with the spirit of the day and finally a tasting session!
In this masterclass, we will demonstrate how 4 simple steps can create a heavenly tasting drink. We will construct the drinks from scratch, using these 4 simple steps:
We put these steps into practise and make a few drinks and you can taste them so you can understand how basic mixology works.
The Bar Training master class will teach you how to set up a fully functioning bar. You will learn the correct order in which you should make cocktails, so that they are of the highest quality. You will learn when to use ice at the correct time, so the cocktails are as fresh as possible. Cocktail presentation is a large proportion of what makes them so popular, they’re visually attractive, if you can perfect the visual aspect whilst simultaneously involving your guests in the bartending process; you’ll find yourself at the top in no time.
YOUR 10-DAY ADVANCED BARTENDING SCHOOL DESTINATION
The 10-Day Advanced Bartending is currently only on offer at our Stockholm school. Stockholm is a world leader in cocktail innovation, which makes it an incredible place to improve your bartending skills! Once you’ve graduated you might be able to get a job at one of the many chic cocktail bars in the city!