Your CV has been read which has got you this far. At interview it is your opportunity to expand upon your 1-2 pages of information you have previously provided. Your key focus is to make a positive impact and fully demonstrate that you have the skills, qualifications and personality to fit the company you are interviewing for. Each client is different but formats for most interviews are fairly standard. It's all about getting the most relevant information from you to illustrate you are the one they want to employ.
We have put together the type of questions that could very well come up. Not only will it give you a basis in which to prepare from; being 'armed' gives you much more confidence, so it's Pow Pow!! Win Win.
Typically the types of questions asked fall into a number of categories. You will be asked about your qualifications, experience and opinion with behavioural and competency based questions to support. There will also no doubt be the brainteasers, those that are that little more 'outside the box' designed to make you think fast and reflect a little more about your personality.
Standard questions for multiple roles and levels:
- What do you know about us?
- What are your strengths and weaknesses?
- How would someone you work with describe you in three words?
- Do you have a five year plan?
- Why do you want to work with us?
- What qualities do you have that fit with our culture and values?
- Describe a typical working week?
- How would you adjust to working for a new company?
- How would you describe your work ethic?
- Why should we hire you?
Questions for a Chef:
- Why did you decide to become a Chef?
- When and how were you trained?
- How many employees currently report to you and what is your management style?
- Tell me about a difficult situation and how you handled it?
- Which Chef do you admire and why?
- What is your favourite cuisine to prepare?
- What trends have you noticed in regards to pairing wine with a menu?
- What is a no no in your kitchen?
- Are you involved in the financial aspect of the business/ stock and ordering etc?
- How do you handle stress and pressure?
Questions for a Kitchen Manager:
- How do you keep motivated through stressful times?
- What appeals to you about the role of Kitchen Manager?
- What personality traits do you have to support this?
- How important is cleanliness to you?
- What food safety training do you have?
- What are your preferred shifts and do you have any limitations to your availability?
- What is your management style?
- What challenges are you looking for in this role?
Questions for a Management role:
- What relevant experience do you have for this role?
- What is your management style?
- What is your experience with hiring and firing?
- What changes would you wish to make/ implement should you be successful?
- Can you tell us about any successful campaigns or events you have previously organised that you have made a positive impact on customer numbers?
- What do you feel would be appealing to our clientele?
- What business tasks do you expect to have and have had past experience of?
- How do you train, inspire and motivate your team around you?
- What personal development would you like to see as Manager?
- Do you mind working with targets and how driven are you to exceed them?
Questions for a Fitness/ Personal Trainer:
- As a customer facing role, what experience do you have with customer service?
- How do you keep up with your fitness knowledge and training?
- In group classes how do you accommodate for varying levels of fitness?
- How would you motivate someone that you can see is struggling?
- Talk me through a class from warm up to the end
- How would you deal with a client that is not satisfied with their results?
- Can you give us an example of a training program you have developed?
- What do you think is the most important part of your service?
- What motivates you?
Questions for a Retail Sales Assistant:
- What personality traits do you possess for such a customer facing role?
- What do you understand about our brand/ products?
- How do you familiarise yourself with merchandise/ products?
- What sales systems have you used previously?
- How would you sell this 'pen' to me?
- Why do you enjoy working with people?
- How can you demonstrate you are a good team player?
- How would you go about increasing customer loyalty?