Head Baker - London
Head Baker - London
Café Royal hotel offers to takes guests on a sumptuous culinary journey across a multitude of restaurants, bars, cafés and private dining areas. Working under the direction and guidance of our talented Executive Pastry Chef – Sarah Barber, our talented Pastry team showcase both flair and creativity in combining quality British ingredients with a cosmopolitan mix of International, Italian and French influences to create an elegant, yet contemporary themes in keeping with the Café Royal’s history and hallmarks of exceptional quality and style.
Our culinary team work within one of London’s newest and most state of the art Pastry kitchens featuring all of the latest specialist culinary equipment. We also have our own large pastry kitchen with its very own bakery and chocolate room; a must for any talented pastry chef. All of our bread and pastry is made fresh onsite every day from our decedent afternoon teas to our range of freshly baked croissants, cakes and handmade chocolates on sale within our ever popular Café fronting London’s vibrant Regent Street.
As our Head Baker you will work under the guidance of our Executive Pastry Chef but will have specific responsibility for the Bakery. At Café Royal you will have the opportunity to showcase your knowledge, skill and creativity of Bakery in combining and working with quality British and international ingredients to create an elegant, yet indulgent range of bakery products including; the production of all of the hotels artisan breads used throughout our restaurants; viennoiserie including croissants, pain au chocolate and raisin, Danish pastries; as well as other specialist bakery items sold daily The Café.
As a talented and experienced Baker you will be well versed in handling all grades of flour and the sourcing of quality products to create an elegant, yet indulgent range of artisan and specialist breads and pastries, whether French or Italian in style to you will ensure they are all in keeping with the Café Royal’s history and hallmarks of exceptional quality. Finally you will also support our Executive Pastry Chef with the training and development of our team in order to cross train the pastry team in bakery to develop their skill and understanding within this speacialised area of the kitchen.
As one of our most famous patrons Oscar Wilde once famously quoted 'To Define is to Limit' however with a role as important as this you will of course need to have a natural flair and talent for Pastry, combined with a specialism for Artisan Baking and passion for producing the very highest levels luxury products that are both classic yet creative in order to take your diners on a sumptuous culinary journey.
In addition to the above you should also have:
- Professionally trained to a minimum of NVQ Level 3 or similar in Pastry with a specialism or separate qualification within Professional Bakery
- Proven extensive experience in a similar role as a Baker or Senior Baker, ideally gained within a similar Luxury multi-outlet Hotel with in house bakery, independent Artisan Bakery or large destination restaurant
- Possessing distinct leadership qualities to provide a credible and consistent role model.
- Previous international work experience is beneficial along with exposure to international bakery styles, particularly with French, Spanish, Italian or other modern European influences
- Flexibility to work early mornings and weekend shifts
- Competitive Salary + Service Charge
- 20 Days holiday + Bank Holidays, rising to 25 days holiday + Bank holidays with 5 years’ service
- Group Life Insurance & access to financial services
- Pension scheme
- On Duty Meal
- Fantastic training & development opportunities
- Annual Recognition rewards schemes, employee referral scheme, colleague football team
- Discounted room rates and F&B, as well as other lifestyle discounts including Spa & Gym Memberships
- Be part of an exciting, up and coming brand in the industry – already a member of ‘Leading Hotels of the World’
Ready to join our team?
If you believe you have what it takes to provide this high quality culinary service in an iconic London venue and would like to join our professional team we’d love to hear from you. Please send your cover letter and CV to via the Apply Now link.
In line wiith the requirements of the Asylum & Immigration Act 1996, all applicants must be eligible to live and work in the UK. Documented evidence of eligibility will be required from candidates.