Commis Chef - Edinburgh
Commis Chef - Edinburgh
SYHA Hostelling Scotland is a self-funding charity operating a network of over 60 exceptional youth and affiliate hostels for the benefit of all those wishing to learn and experience what Scotland has to offer. Our unique sites provide affordable, comfortable, safe and quality-assured accommodation with a warm friendly welcome, local knowledge, activities and services for guests travelling around Scotland. We are currently seeking to appoint a Commis Chef to provide a high standard of professional, efficient and effective guest service within Edinburgh Central Youth Hostel.
The main responsibilities of this post:
- To ensure to deliver the highest standard of food quality and presentation whilst achieving budgetary requirements.
- To participate as a responsible, proactive and positive team member of the catering team and to assume responsibility for the kitchen in the absence of the senior chefs.
- To ensure that the highest standards of uniform, personal presentation and hygiene are maintained at all times.
- To maintain the standards of cleanliness and hygiene in the main catering kitchen, back of the house (i.e. delivery area, staff canteen) in accordance with Edinburgh Central HACCP housel rules, and cleaning schedules.
Routine duties and responsibilities:
- To asssit in the preparation of food budgets and to achieve their requirements with respect to food sales, average spends, profit percentages and operating expenses
- In conjunction with hostel management introduce and maintain standard costed receipes for all food items served
- To adhere to portion control standards to maintain consistency in product delivery and avoid wastage and over production
- To ensure food production eqipment and utensils are maintained and in good working order and used according to manufactures instructions
- To ensure that all staff prevent food contamination by implementing and practicing good chemical, food and personal hygiene to ensure safe use and storage of chemicals within the food preparation areas in line with COSHH regulations
Suitable candidate will have:
- Working all areas of the kitchen, ability to effectively communicate with team as well as being a good team player.
- Ability to undertake shift work on weekly basis and have excellent organisational and time management skills, including being able to receive direction from other chefs as well as effectively carry out orders
- Ability to work under pressure, to remain calm whilst multi-tasking, as they are often called upon to carry out many different orders simultaneously in a brief amount of time, along with prep preparation of meals produced in the Kitchen.
- Ability to work without supervision and work to a high standard.
- Previous experience as Commis Chef, and maintain high standards of health and safety in kitchen, including personal hygiene and have already received training this area.
Applications will be considered favourably from candidates who have previous experience of catering for large groups, pastry chef experience, working in busy contract catering environment with excellent knowledge of food hygiene, HACCP and COSHH regulations and a relevant qualification for this position including food hygiene certificate such as EFH, SVQ/NVQ in catering, food production.
Please note SYHA operates a policy where only successful applicants will be contacted. If you do not hear from us within two weeks of the closing date you have not been shortlisted on this occasion.
SYHA has a commitment to Equal Opportunities and Diversity.
Scottish Youth Hostels Association (also known as SYHA Hostelling Scotland) is a registered Scottish charity, No. SC013138 and a company limited by guarantee, registered in Scotland, No. SC310841, Registered Office 7 Glebe Crescent, Stirling FK8 2JA.