Commis Chef - Hotel du Vin, Exeter
JOB TITLE: Commis Chef
RESPONSIBLE TO: Chef de Partie/Head Chef
JOB PURPOSE: To develop his/her knowledge and skills by assisting in the preparation as required by the food outlets, ensuring the highest standards of quality and presentation at all times.
Commis Chef: Magdelen Chapter Hotel – Exeter:
- To consistently provide and maintain the highest standard of guest care and service.
- To maintain a high standard of personal hygiene and grooming at all times.
- To ensure that your designated uniform is worn, well pressed and in a good state of repair at all times.
- To familiarise yourself with your departmental Standards of Performance and to be able to demonstrate their application.
- To have a good knowledge of all hotel facilities and be able to answer guest questions in a quick, polite and helpful manner.
- To handle any guest complaints or problems promptly and to ensure that all resolved/unresolved incidents are reported to your Head of Department.
- To adhere at all times to all company, hotel and statutory rules, regulations and policies.
- To act on your responsibilities detailed in the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974.
- To demonstrate a working knowledge of fire prevention and to follow the hotel evacuation plan on hearing the alarm.
- To be security conscious with respect to guest/staff/hotel property/welfare and to report suspicious circumstances to your Supervisor. To report any damage to furniture, fittings and equipment to your Supervisor.
- To maintain your departmental area in a safe, hygienic and presentable state, at all times.
- To co-operate and communicate with your colleagues, Supervisors, Head of Department and Management to ensure effective department team work and high morale.
- To attend any meetings, training sessions or courses that may be beneficial to you and your department on request from your Supervisor/Head of Department.
- To follow all procedures set up for energy conservation and recycling.
- To assist the Chef de Partie in all aspects of food production and presentation according to the established standards.
- To ensure that the equipment, utensils and working area, including fridges and freezers, are kept clean and in good working order.
- To ensure that wastage and over production are kept to a minimum and that surplus food is returned to its proper location and utilised effectively.
- To ensure effective food storage and stock rotation and to report any food spoilage/wastage to the Sous Chef.
- To ensure the safe use and storage of chemicals within the food preparation area.
- To prevent food contamination by practising good chemical food ad personal hygiene habits.
- To be innovative and aware of trends at all times in food products.
- To carry out any other reasonable tasks requested by your Supervisor, Head of Department or Management.
There's something truly magical about Devon. The artist Brian Froud references it - and especially the dramatic vistas of Dartmoor National Park - as the inspiration behind some of his best work. So welcome to our “contemporary wonderland” as Alastair Sawday dubbed us, in the heart of this sublime city. Take a step inside this iconic building, formerly the West of England Eye Hospital, where historic walled gardens and striking architecture create the backdrop for a truly special experience. As our newest property, this glorious Exeter hotel is brimming with its own charm and unique personality, distinct from our other hotels but equally impressive in its own right. Hugo Dalton was inspired to mural our lounge wall, opening out onto the magical terrace and garden perfect for sketching faeries, writing novellas or simply sipping a glass of Pinot. If the weather doesn't inspire you a short meander through our library certainly will, whilst the call of the bar and bistro is sure to tempt you with its fantastic range of bottles and beautiful French-inspired menus.