Head Chef - Manchester Art Gallery, Manchester
Department: Catering Operations
Reporting line: Venue Director, Executive Head Chef
No. of direct reports: F/T Culinary Team, Event Day BOH Team
Purpose of role
To plan, facilitate and implement a food offer that delivers a premium experience on match days and non-match days alongside ensuring operational quality and excellence is maintained, to the set service level agreements and profitability.
- Venue Director
- Director of Hospitality
- Executive Chef
- Head of Human Resources
- Operations Director
- Head of ID
- Head of Sales and Service
- C+E Sales Manager
- Service and Fulfillment Manager
- Head of Supporter Experience
- Head of Match Day and Events
- Head of Safety & Security
- Head of FM
- Health, Safety and Hygiene Compliance Officer
- Plus other key Managers engaged in match day delivery
- To assist the Executive Head Chef in management and execution of the catering operations plan to ensure the optimal delivery of a world class match and non-match day experience/customer experience and ensure that the club surpasses supporter expectations in line with agreed budgets.
- To manage and assist in the preparation of all kitchen areas and ensure that the highest standards of presentation and preparation of these areas are achieved in good time prior to each function, including match days.
- To cover in the absence of the Executive Head Chef and ensure operational quality and Company standards are maintained.
- Set food specs with photos and with recipe cards for Match Day, C&E and non-bowl events.
- Actively assess market trends to identify new commercial opportunities developing business cases and realise benefits.
- To assist in the implementation and mobilisation of catering and/or hospitality capital projects, working in conjunction with the ID team and FM team where appropriate.
- Increasing catering spend per head.
- Identifying efficiencies within the match day catering operation that improve P&L and operational performance. To ensure that all food, liquor, equipment and sundry items are charged appropriately to the client via the daily charge sheets.
- To ensure the highest standards of general hygiene and safe food handling are achieved at all times by all employees within kitchen areas as to the Company H&S standards and in line with current legislation.
- To ensure the highest standards of food service and food presentation across both C&E and match day business at all times.This is to include buffet theming and plated presentation.
- To react quickly and efficiently to clients requests and changes in arrangements.To communicate such information to the catering office and kitchen where relevant.
- To maintain departmental food control procedures, ensure wastage is kept to a minimum and recorded on waste control sheets but also through the EATEC system. To achieve budgeted cost of sales.
- To ensure the control of all department equipment ensuring that breakages are kept to a minimum and that the misuse of establishment property does not occur. All equipment faults are to be reported via the electronic maintenance form to the appropriate person. Major faults affecting safe food delivery should in the first instance be reported to the Executive Head Chef.
- To ensure appropriate paperwork i.e. Goods Received, temperature record and fridge record sheets, HACCP and COSSH are completed to the set guidelines.
- To build weekly and match day planners outlining employee levels. All planners are to be built in line with budget and presented for sign off to the Venue Director, Executive Chef and Director of Hospitality.
- All planners are to be built in WMX prior to the first shift being worked.
- Have a full understanding of WMX, the process of clocking in/out and the fire register.
- Be able to proactively support departmental recruitment and training.
- Encourage personal development, passion for food and innovative thought across all skill sets but specifically concentrating on skill gaps within the full time team.
- To ensure that all employees and casual employees adhere to the departmental standard of dress and personal hygiene at all times. This is to include PPE (Personal Protective Equipment).
- Support any departmental administrative duties
- To attend weekly MCFC meetings and any team meetings to discuss forthcoming business.
- To ensure that all menu planning is produced within given time scale and fully costed ensuring operating targets are met.
- Have a thorough understanding of EATEC and be able to submit an RQA, produce a purchase order and update the accounts log.
- Ensure all orders are built and placed in good time in line with supplier cut-offs.
- To carry out a post-match and or weekly kitchen walk around with Lead Kitchen Porter.
- To ensure hygiene audits are carried out regularly and to carry out six monthly risk assessments in all kitchen areas.
- To ensure that all employees are trained which enables them to carry out their duties according to departmental standards.
- To manage food production so that casual employee payroll is kept within the operating targets as set.
- Assist in maximising sales and reducing costs throughout the operation.
- Ensure that the kitchens are closed down at the end of each shift correctly, secured and left tidy.
To be fully conversant with:
- The standards and procedures within the Stadium for fire, security, H& S.
- The standards and procedures within the business for personal hygiene, food hygiene and safety.
- The operating standards and procedures within the stadium for the service of food and beverage.
- The legal requirements in respect of the sales of alcohol to the public.
- The methods of payment accepted by the Company.
- The standards for cash and payment handling.