Senior Leisure Assistant (part time)
Serco is a FTSE 250 international service company which combines commercial know-how with a deep public service ethos. We improve services by managing people, processes, technology and assets more effectively. We advise policy makers, design innovative solutions, integrate systems and - most of all - deliver to the public. Serco supports governments, agencies and companies who seek a trusted partner with a solid track-record of providing assured service excellence. Our people offer operational, management and consulting expertise in the aerospace, defence, education, health, home affairs, local government, science, technology, transport and the commercial sectors.
Managed by Serco, Shropshire Community Leisure Limited was formed as a company limited by guarantee and commenced the management of Oswestry Leisure Centre, Market Drayton Swimming Pool, Whitchurch Swimming Centre, Shrewsbury Sports Village and The Quarry Swimming Pools.
Reporting to the Duty Manager, Serco is currently recruiting a full time Senior Leisure Assistant to work at Oswestry Leisure Centre. The role is part time, 21 hours on a rota basis between the Leisure Centre opening and closing times. Oswestry Leisure Centre Pool has a range of facilities and offers a variety of activities for all ages. From fun family swim sessions and swimming lessons for children and adults to energetic aqua fit classes to and relaxing sauna in the health suite.
A key element of the Senior Leisure Assistant`s role is to work within the centre ensuring customer safety and high standards of service and customer care at all times. The role will involve supervision of specific activities, maintaining high standards of cleanliness and the safe handling and set up of equipment. In addition, the Senior Leisure Assistant will supervise the work of the Recreation Assistants and assist the Duty Manager in ensuring the building is run smoothly.
* Provide supervision of swimming pools to ensure customer safety at all times by preventing accidents and incidents and by taking the appropriate action in the event of these occurring
* Ensure equipment is set up in order to meet the needs of the programmed activities
* Undertake cleaning tasks as required to ensure the centre is well presented and monitor standards of cleanliness in customer critical areas such as changing rooms and toilets.
* Monitor customer use within the centre and ensure unsafe practices are promptly dealt with or reported as appropriate
* Follow the processes laid down in the SLIMS (Serco Leisure Integrated Management System), in particular, the Pool Normal Operating, Pool Emergency and Centre Emergencies Procedures
* Provide support to the Duty Manager, particularly relating to the monitoring and inspection of the facility
* Following suitable in-house training, provide temporary cover for the Duty Manager when required and attend training sessions in order to demonstrate competency and maintain a valid qualification
* Consistently and actively apply good housekeeping principles, such as turning off lights and equipment when not in use, in order to contribute to our strategy to reduce utility consumption.
Skills, Experience and Qualifications:
* Royal Lifesaving Society National Pool Lifeguard Qualification is essential
* First Aid at Work certificate would be advantageous
* Pool Plant Operator Certificate would be advantageous
* Health and safety awareness
* Experience of working within a leisure environment and previous experience of pool supervision
* Ability to remain calm and in control in pressurised situations such as emergencies
* Excellent customer care and communication skills
* Ability to set and achieve high standards of centre cleanliness and presentation
* An awareness of Health and safety legislation
* Ability to lead and supervise other team members
On occasion we receive significantly more applicants than expected for some vacancies and under such circumstances we reserve the right to bring forward the closing date of the advertisement. We therefore strongly advise you to apply for the role promptly to avoid disappointment should the closing date be brought forward. Serco is committed to equal opportunities and requests any potential applicant to contact the Serco Recruitment Team on 0345 010 4000 as soon as possible if an applicant has any additional queries, requirements or will need additional time in submitting an application should the closing date of the advertisement be brought forward.