Finance Assistant - Edinburgh
Surgeons Lodge Limited (SLL) trading as the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh Commercial Enterprises (RCSEd CE) is a wholly owned subsidiary of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh which has developed its property and facilities to create an integrated conferencing and events facility within the College campus, including the stylish 77 bedroom hotel, Ten Hill Place.
The facilities lend themselves to a variety of activities and events including conferences, professional meetings, weddings, exhibitions and social events. Additionally in conjunction with our catering partners, Heritage Portfolio, SLL manage a large food and beverage operation which includes management of venue bars, private banqueting and a high street café.
Principal Role of the Finance Assistant
The Finance Assistant will provide support for the overall financial processes within SLL, assisting both the Assistant Financial Controller as well as the Financial Controller. The role will cover the following (the list is not exhaustive):
- i.Responsibility for maintaining the Purchase Ledger, to include coding and inputting of all invoices.
- ii.Weekly / Monthly petty cash reconciliations.
- iii.Processing of weekly and fortnightly payment runs.
- iv.Completion of bank reconciliations to include Direct Debit transactions, credit card reconciliations, and allocation of payments to the Sales Ledger.
- v.Reconciliation of supplier statements.
- vi.Reconciliation of monthly Beacon statements.
- vii.Dealing with any queries in respect of invoices, along with daily maintenance of the finance email inbox.
- viii.Assist in the production of monthly management accounts, to include accruals, prepayments, and fixed assets.
- ix.Assist both the Financial Controller and Assistant Financial Controller in the daily operations of the SLL finance office.
- x.To ensure that filing of invoices, and other financial documents, occurs in a timely and organised manner.
- xi.To assist the finance office in achieving all relevant deadlines.
- xii.Any other duties as required by the Financial Controller or Assistant Financial Controller.
Qualifications, Abilities and Skills
- Standard Grade in English and Mathematics (or equivalent) - Essential
- Part qualified CA, ACCA, CIMA or studying for AAT qualification - Desirable
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office in particular Excel to an advanced level - Essential
- Knowledge of the Guestline PMS software system - Desirable
- Knowledge of SUN accounting systems - Desirable
- Experience in hotel management accounting or industry equivalent - Desirable
- At least two years experience working within a finance function - Essential
- Attention to detail - Essential
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team - Essential
- Good communications skills - Essential
- Proactive and a self-starter - Essential
- Ability to manage own time to achieve required deadlines - Essential
Pension Scheme: -
Surgeons Lodge Limited operates an auto enrolment pension scheme in line with current legislation.
28 working days per annum, to include 8 public holidays. Please note that all holidays must be agreed by the Financial Controller. Public holidays are classed as normal working days and therefore 8 days are added to annual leave entitlement.
All posts are offered on a six month probationary period basis.
Salary & Working Hours:
The salary is £18,000 per annum.
To achieve reporting deadlines in a timely manner, the Finance Assistant will be required to work evenings and weekends as necessary.
It is envisaged that the working hours will not exceed an average of 40-45 per week and flexibility in how this is phased over a month is the responsibility of the Financial Controller.
The Management Team of SLL do not operate a Monday – Friday 9am - 5pm working week.