Assistant Financial Controller - Edinburgh
Surgeons Lodge Limited (SLL) trading as the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh Commercial Enterprises (RCSEd CE) is a wholly owned subsidiary of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh which has developed its property and facilities to create an integrated conferencing and events facility within the College campus, including the stylish 77 bedroom hotel, Ten Hill Place.
The facilities lend themselves to a variety of activities and events including conferences, professional meetings, weddings, exhibitions and social events. Additionally in conjunction with our catering partners, Heritage Portfolio, SLL manage a large food and beverage operation which includes management of venue bars, private banqueting and a high street café.
Principal Role of the Assistant Financial Controller
The Assistant Financial Controller will provide support for the overall financial processes within SLL, including the creation, implementation and control of robust accounting procedures and will report to the Financial Controller.
Principal tasks will include:
- i.Assist in the production of management accounting information as requested by the Financial Controller, Commercial Director and the SLL Board of Directors.
- ii.Assist the Financial Controller in the daily operations of the finance office, to include the supervision of the Finance Assistant.
- iii.To prepare and manage the fortnightly and monthly payroll functions, as well as providing analysis and forecast reports in relation to payroll.
- iv.To improve accounting controls and the provision of income and expenditure information.
- v.To assess and, where relevant, improve the quality of recording of financial transactions for both the accounting and “in house” systems and to simplify procedures to support the management team.
- vi.To assess and, where relevant, improve internal financial procedures, including weekly/monthly management accounts and cashflow management.
- vii.Ensure all statutory reporting deadlines, including HMRC payments, are adhered to.
- viii.Use statistical and financial information and analysis to encourage thinking and discussion within the SLL management team.
- ix.To assist the SLL team in the absence of the Financial Controller.
- x.To oversee the management of the company Sales Ledger function.
- xi.Assist with the preparation of information for quarterly management account external verification and for the annual audit.
- xii.Any other duties as required by the Financial Controller.
Qualifications, Abilities and Skills
- Qualified CA, ACCA, CIMA or equivalent - Desirable
- Part qualified CA, ACCA, CIMA or qualified by industry experience - Essential
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office in particular Excel to an advanced level - Essential
- Knowledge of the Guestline PMS software system - Desirable
- Knowledge of SUN accounting systems - Desirable
- Experience in hotel management accounting or industry equivalent - Desirable
- At least two years experience working within a finance function - Essential
- Attention to detail - Essential
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team - Essential
- Good communications skills - Essential
- Proactive and a self-starter - Essential
- Ability to manage own time to achieve required deadlines - Essential
Pension Scheme: -
Surgeons Lodge Limited operates an auto enrolment pension scheme in line with current legislation.
28 working days per annum, to include 8 public holidays. Please note that all holidays must be agreed by the Financial Controller. Public holidays are classed as normal working days and therefore 8 days are added to annual leave entitlement. Holidays are calculated on a pro rata basis.
All posts are offered on a six month probationary period basis.
Salary & Working Hours:
The salary is £16,000 per annum based on a 20-24 hour working week, dependent on experience, (minimum of 4 days work in each week).
To achieve reporting deadlines in a timely manner, the Assistant Financial Controller will be required to work evenings and weekends as necessary.
It is envisaged that the working hours will not exceed an average of 24 per week and flexibility in how this is phased over a month is the responsibility of the Financial Controller.
The Management Team of SLL do not operate a Monday – Friday 9am - 5pm policy.