Great food is part and parcel of a great National Trust experience, and the financial contribution catering generates for our work is vital. Over the last 18 months, we have introduced a new core menu offering across all of our tearooms and restaurants – a menu with fresh, local, seasonal produce at its heart.
What it's like to work here
Clumber Park is true to its spirit as a place of recreation; there are 20 miles of cycle route and 3,800 acres of parkland, woodland and heathland. Although the mansion was demolished in 1938, many original Clumber Park estate features survive including a superb 19th-century glasshouses, which incorporate a palm house, vineries and working apiary.
We’re really proud of our Garden Tea House. Situated next to the historic Walled Kitchen Garden, this spectacular 19th century building which used to be the old head gardeners house, boasts a stunning interior complete with original fireplaces, shimmering chandeliers and its own twisted staircase. It's truly a magnificent place to work. Our team of dedicated chefs base their menu on the seasons and inspired by the spectacular surroundings. They use the finest locally sourced ingredients taking advantage of the home-grown fruits and vegetables from the on-site Walled Kitchen Garden.
At our main café visitors can enjoy a selection of our home-made cakes, biscuits and cream teas. We have a barbeque at peak times and also cater for a number of weddings throughout the year and making in-house beautiful wedding deserts. We also have a second hand book shop and a soft play areas for children which provides light refreshments, catering for all ages.
What you'll be doing
With your passion for food and your appetite to provide an exceptional service to your customers, you’ll work with the National Trust Cookbook framework to prepare delicious food. Working with local produce you'll always be looking for ways to minimise waste and control costs and resources. With your attention to detail you’ll ensure each dish is fresh, tasty and beautifully presented every time.
As a key member of our busy catering team, you’ll make sure the team is working effectively to deliver great results. You may also be required, on occasions to supervise volunteers.
You’ll help the catering team ensure our kitchens are presented to the highest standard and are compliant with all relevant legislation around food hygiene and COSHH.
Who we're looking for
An experienced and credible chef, you love great food – and you’re passionate about how it’s prepared, presented and served.
You'll need to be;
- Passionate about food
- Customer focussed with great communication skills
- A good team player
- Creative and proactive
- IT literate
- Experienced in delivering a centrally developed menu in a fast paced, catering environment
- Proud to deliver exceptional customer service
- Aware of good working knowledge of Health & Safety compliance requirements
Looking after you
- Health cash plan – from as little as £2.81 per month for you and your dependents
- Pension contribution match up to 10%
- EAP and proactive Health and Wellbeing
- Discounted gym membership
Looking after your career
- Grow your career through professional training courses across the Trust
- Develop your skills with an internal secondment
- Pay review linked to values and behaviours, commitment to progression
- Income protection due to illness
Unique to Us
- Work in some of the most beautiful, iconic and unique locations in the UK
- Free entry to NT properties for you, a guest and your children (under 18)
- 20% off in our retail and catering outlets
- Discount up to 35% off a National Trust holiday cottage booking